Amazon Is Planning Its Own Private Fleet of Delivery Trucks

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Amazon seems to be adopting the saying ‘if you want something done right, do it yourself’ as far as deliveries go. It has been reported that Google is now planning to put together a private fleet of delivery trucks and take over its own same day deliveries.

Orders would be routed through Amazon's 55 fulfillment centers, and would let it deliver more items in under two days, presumably faster and cheaper than UPS or FedEx.

Has anyone ever had Amazon ship via Lasership? How well is that working out for Amazon and it's customers?

- don't expect it to arrive on time
- don't expect it to arrive in one piece
- don't expect to track it
- don't expect for it to arrive at all​

Lets hope Amazon's own shipping services is better then their "other" shipping service they currently use (and you can't choose which shipper you get)

Lasership doesn't even knock on the door. They leave it on the ground in front of my door and then run away.

So wait... is Amazon doing it or Google doing it? Your post is confusing, MD.

So wait... is Amazon doing it or Google doing it? Your post is confusing, MD.
I think MD might need to go get some more coffee. The linked article deals with Amazon and contains no mention of the google-borg. So it's Amazon that wants to start up its own fleet of delivery trucks in certain areas.

Maybe Major accidentally let some industry insider information slip - Google and Amazon merging?!?! :eek:

Bezos is not stupid when it comes to infrastructure investing. If anything, he's done his math and thought his strategy through before executing on something like this. They aren't new to running supermassive warehouses so I doubt they are new to the ins and outs of transportation and delivery costs.

Seems smart to me, why pay a third party's profit margin when you have enough capital to invest in your own service and keep that profit for yourself?

I live 25 miles from Amazon's largest warehouse that's in Fernley NV, I get most things next day , if its shipped from that center . regardless of the delivery speed I choose .

I live 25 miles from Amazon's largest warehouse that's in Fernley NV, I get most things next day , if its shipped from that center . regardless of the delivery speed I choose .

Same here. However lately it seems most of my stuff comes from back east....

I live about 6 miles from 1 and 50 miles from the others in Virginia and I get things pretty quick. Lastership is horrible as they never knock and throw stuff around. FedEx is just as bad as they put a slip on the door then knock and run away.

Either way, I get whatever I order from Amazon in 1-2 days no matter what method of shipment I choose. Why would I need prime when I get better service since I live so close to the fulfillment center!

Unless, Bezos has a limitless reserve of cheap gas, and a huge fleet of trucks that never need maintenance and repairs, I'd say Bezos has lost it.
If you look at the UPS, Fedex and the USPS running such a fleet costs deep into their profit margins.
Bezos would be spending a lot running and maintaining that fleet.
It might work within a close radius from distribution centers, but on a nationwide scale??? FORGET IT!!!!

Has anyone ever had Amazon ship via Lasership? How well is that working out for Amazon and it's customers?

- don't expect it to arrive on time
- don't expect it to arrive in one piece
- don't expect to track it
- don't expect for it to arrive at all​

Lets hope Amazon's own shipping services is better then their "other" shipping service they currently use (and you can't choose which shipper you get)

Lasership is pathetic. UPS is poor. The only times I have not had issues is when it's shipped by FedEx.

That presumes Amazon won't just charge my card and renege on shipping anything like my last order. It should not take several hours of phone calls to get a Pre-Ordered Grand Wizard copy of the Stick of Truth (for PC obviously). Of course it was delivered by Lasership and so the box came damaged.

The only thing that stopped them before was having a physical presence in a tax forced you to pay sales tax. Now that the local merchant's politicians have screwed that up, there's no reason to not go forward. Now UPS will need to go running to state politicians about jobs, etc.

Lasership is great for me before noon usually, UPS most reliable, Fedex middle of the road. And USPS the worst known to man:mad: . That being said if Amazon could take this over withouth pushing Prime or other shipping costs for using them direct through the roof and cut out the middle men sounds great to me. :D

Back