Amazon is now a publisher!? Amazon acquires Double Helix

The new killer instinct was done by them not sure what amazons intentions are here.

I think Amazon is definitely getting into the hardware business (might not be a full blown gaming system, but it could be something between a PS4 and a Roku box). It makes sense since they've just seen MS semi-disrupt part of their media distribution channel (you can't purchase content on Amazon via the X1 UI -- you have to purchase it elsewhere and add it to your watchlist). Obviously that's not the only reason for Amazon to do this, but if they are getting into the hardware game I could definitely see them making this purchase for exclusives. The barriers to entry for consoles have actually diminished substantially (for those with cash to spend), but whereas the hardware is no longer much of a differentiator the content certainly still is.

There have been many rumors of an Android box coming from Amazon for the past 6 months or so.

They just have too much money to flaunt.

Amazon hasn't made a profit yet. I think they are so big that they can take investor money and branch off and do new exciting things. Each new branch added to the overall olive tree makes it more appealing to investors so more invest in it.

Amazon already was a game developer before this. They had Amazon Game Studios in house.

They just have too much money to flaunt.

Amazon hasn't made a profit yet. I think they are so big that they can take investor money and branch off and do new exciting things. Each new branch added to the overall olive tree makes it more appealing to investors so more invest in it.

Amazon's stock actually fell badly a week or two ago because their earnings didn't hit analysts' expectations. They also just announced a planned price hike for Prime subscriptions. That may give them money to blow, but they aren't Apple... But just like Apple TV, I bet only a handful of people are gonna buy an Amazon box. If it's a game system though? Different story.

Back