Amazon Has its First $10B Quarter

HardOCP News

[H] News
Funny how Amazon has its first $10B quarter (almost $13B actually), a 36% increase over the previous year, and its stock still took a hit because they missed analysts' expectations.

Sales reached $12.95 billion for 2010's holiday-heavy fourth quarter, up from $9.52 billion in the fourth quarter of the previous year. Amazon noted that this 36 percent increase would have been 37 percent had it not been for the $139 million shaved off it from unfavorable changes in foreign exchange rates. Operating income was $474 million, down slightly from $476 million in the fourth quarter of 2009.

I remember when Amazon was in the red with all the dot bombs. For all the stores it hosts and volume it does, 1/2 billion dollars seems like pretty low margins, even for an etailer.

You only made a shitload of money instead of a fuckton of money.. You lose!!!!

I just have to laugh at the insanity of it all. :D

I keep intending to invest in the market, but it's ridiculous hat speculation and nonsense dominate such an integral part of the economy.

Doesn't make sense.

<3 amazon

Me too :)

photo-7.jpg

How about blame the analysts' for the missed expectations instead of Amazon? Huh? How 'bout them pickles?

Amazon deserves it. I have NEVER been disappointed with Amazon and I buy a ton of stuff from them. The returns are retarded easy and you can pretty much return anything for any reason and it's just a matter of printing a label.

I remember when Amazon was in the red with all the dot bombs. For all the stores it hosts and volume it does, 1/2 billion dollars seems like pretty low margins, even for an etailer.

I remember their decision to start selling these mystical things called DVDs and it was all uphill from there :D

Amazon deserves it. I have NEVER been disappointed with Amazon and I buy a ton of stuff from them. The returns are retarded easy and you can pretty much return anything for any reason and it's just a matter of printing a label.

Actually you need to be careful with Amazon returns. They will ban you with no warning and blacklist your address, CC, etc if you return too much.

Amazon cancelling accounts is pretty rare. There were a bunch done 2 and a half years ago, mostly affecting those who had done excessive returns. Some involved abuses of the return policy, like using a laptop for a month, return it, and then order another one (the "free" laptop scam no store puts up with anymore). :p

At the time, many of the people who had accounts cancelled acknowledged that they had been abusing the returns policy. But others took the position that they were only using what was allowed. Amazon is still pretty generous with the return policy, but some people feel it's their right to abuse it.

I've returned several items over the years, and I never abused the policy and my account was never cancelled.

I've returned 3 lower cost items in the past year, and immediately bought things to replace them.

I remember when the IPO was like $8 and I didn't buy any because I thought they were going to go under like many dot coms at the time. Yay, great job supporting local business...

I honestly did about $100,000-$150,000 of that $13B figure those 3 months (about 000.09% or so of that $10B :D)

*breaks arm patting self on back*

I broke up with ebay because she was a slut. My new girl is Amazon! She's amazing in bed... i mean service!

Back