Amazon Drops Price of Prime for Medicaid Recipients

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Amazon has launched another discount for people on government assistance and this time it's for Medicaid recipients. The price of a Prime membership has been dropped to $5.99 per month from the normal $10.99 per month. I know we probably have a few [H] denizens around here that are on Medicaid and could use this discount. Go here and sign up today.

The move is not Amazon’s first effort to help recipients of government assistance. In June of last year, Amazon launched a discount program for customers on government assistance with a valid Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card.

I am legally blind and receive Medicaid, so this is definitely good news. Especially considering they had just raised the monthly price of Prime to like $14 and change...

As long as one is not getting SSI, one can get this if one has an EBT card, if one gets SSI and lives in California, this discount does not apply, since Amazon does not understand SSI recipients get Medi-Cal which uses its own card, Med-Cal is the California version of Medicaid, this $5.99 amount is null and void in CA for 1.3 Million SSI recipients, overall there are 12.5 Million who get Medi-Cal, the link says there are other programs, I saw no other programs...

SSI recipients in California do not get an EBT card, to get an EBT card SSI in CA would have to get SNAP and 14,000 mixed income houses would have to give up $10 a month, ex-cons get $160 in SNAP every month regardless of income, the state average is $135.99 for SNAP every month, SSI recipients get $10 a month, not really fair, but that is California...

And yes I called and talked to Amazon on this oversight, they are under the impression that Medi-Cal is not Medicaid, and they don't seem to care...

The California Medical Assistance Program (Medi-Cal or MediCal) is California's Medicaid program serving low-income individuals, including families, seniors, persons with disabilities, children in foster care, pregnant women, and childless adults with incomes below 138% of federal poverty level. Benefits include ambulatory patient services, emergency services, hospitalization, maternity and newborn care, mental health and substance use disorder treatment, dental (Denti-Cal), vision, and long term care and supports.[1] Approximately 12.5 million people were enrolled in Medi-Cal as of May 2015, or about 32.4% of California's population; in Tulare County and Merced County, more than 50% of county residents were enrolled as of September 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medi-Cal

As long as one is not getting SSI, one can get this if one has an EBT card, if one gets SSI and lives in California, this discount does not apply, since Amazon does not understand SSI recipients get Medi-Cal which uses its own card, Med-Cal is the California version of Medicaid, this $5.99 amount is null and void in CA for 1.3 Million SSI recipients, overall there are 12.5 Million who get Medi-Cal, the link says there are other programs, I saw no other programs...

SSI recipients in California do not get an EBT card, to get an EBT card SSI in CA would have to get SNAP and 14,000 mixed income houses would have to give up $10 a month, ex-cons get $160 in SNAP every month regardless of income, the state average is $135.99 for SNAP every month, SSI recipients get $10 a month, not really fair, but that is California...

And yes I called and talked to Amazon on this oversight, they are under the impression that Medi-Cal is not Medicaid, and they don't seem to care...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medi-Cal
To be fair it is really hard to feel bad for people who live in California. Every time I've been there and the temperature was below 70 everyone was wandering around in goose down parkas acting like it was some natural disaster... 68 just isn't that bad.

To be fair it is really hard to feel bad for people who live in California. Every time I've been there and the temperature was below 70 everyone was wandering around in goose down parkas acting like it was some natural disaster... 68 just isn't that bad.
I wish I lived in that cooler area, where I live can be either 100F or more in summer for 110 or more days a year, or below freezing, like to 20F at night in the winter, in 2008 the area where I live at had 6" of snow, no one could go anywhere until the snow melted...

CA is expensive, as CA imports quite a bit, since a lot of people like living here cause of the climate along the coasts, inland? Not so much, some areas of LA and Orange Counties were at one time Orange Groves, not anymore, Hosing has replaced all the Orange Groves almost, Strawberries used to be grown where I grew up at in LA County, now there are concrete buildings there, though there are strawberries growing wild in the area for the time being, but for how long? I don't know, land is valuable here, My grandpa's home in Culver city CA sold in 1970 for $20,000.00, now it's worth at least $750,000.00, way out of My income range and the property taxes are at 1% of the last sales price...

Back