Amazon Building “Glass Nature Complex” For Workers

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Amazon is placing spheres in downtown Seattle that will function as high-tech greenhouses, featuring plenty of fancy plant life meant to inspire the company’s employees. More than 3,000 species are being grown, though it isn’t clear if they are all meant for this “iconic” structure.

The real point of the spheres is how Amazon wants to use the nature on the inside to inspire employees. When they open in early 2018, the spheres will be packed with a plant collection worthy of top-notch conservatories, allowing Amazon employees to amble through tree canopies three stories off the ground, meet with colleagues in rooms with walls made from vines and eat kale Caesar salads next to an indoor creek.

That's pretty awesome... what's funny to me, though, is that the worker bees at the warehouses slave away in massive complexes devoid of natural light while the gifted and special little flowers in Seattle get to walk in the Garden of Eden.

So that's what those strange buildings are I see when riding the bus. Though not motivated to find out, I was mildly curious.

That's pretty awesome... what's funny to me, though, is that the worker bees at the warehouses slave away in massive complexes devoid of natural light while the gifted and special little flowers in Seattle get to walk in the Garden of Eden.

Those Seattle employees likely have a lot more education than the contract labor employed at Amazon's warehouses.

Those Seattle employees likely have a lot more education than the contract labor employed at Amazon's warehouses.

Guaranteed, and they're probably more driven and a lot more gifted, etc etc, to be working for Amazon in that capacity. I just find the dichotomy interesting.

They have 3000 species in a tiny one acre greenhouse? That sounds ripe for a disaster if plant diseases get in there.

This sounds like a really tricky place for Amazon to convert into soulless cubicles when they mature into a value company.

What's more funny for the worker bees is Amazon refuses to have air conditioning in the summer and heat strokes have become so common ambulances would simply park outside. Glad they used those cost savings to make this thing!

What's more funny for the worker bees is Amazon refuses to have air conditioning in the summer and heat strokes have become so common ambulances would simply park outside. Glad they used those cost savings to make this thing!

Same with every kitchen I've ever worked in...

Opl8pO1.jpg

Would love to see my company do something like that. Won't happen. But I'd be over the moon if they did.

Back