Amazon 2600k - "List price" of $400

TwistedAegis

[H]F Junkie
Just browsing around looking to see if there were any current deals on a 2600k, and noticed that Amazon shows the "list price" of the i7 2600k as $408.40, selling for $314.95, a whopping $93.45 in savings!

Didn't Overstock.com get busted recently for blatantly misrepresenting the original price / overstating savings? Has the 2600k EVER been over $315 anywhere since release? I've been waiting to build a rig with one since it dropped and I can't recall that it has.

Shady Amazon, shady. :mad:

EDIT: Goddamnit, for some reason I thought I was in the deals discussion forum...so sorry. :(

Yeah, that's a pretty lame move by Amazon, I've seen it for $400 on a few second rate websites like the first month it was out. But on newegg and others it was always less that $400. That is misrepresentation I do believe.

Just ask a mod to move it for you. Or close the thread and make a new one in deals discussions.

Anyways, that is really lame. Seems like they are trying to deliberately mislead uninformed people. I have seen this a couple of times on other items.

It seems like amazon does that kind of stuff a lot. It's obnoxious to have to go to other sites to see if amazon's prices are good and it's a real sale or if they are just pulling this kind of BS.It sure seems like a huge chunk of their inventory is supposedly on sale at any given moment.

I gave them the head's up. I spoke with a rep on chat, and he told me to get ahold of a supervisor on the phone, and I provided him with that PDF of the 1k unit price. I let them know that we are watching, and they better fix it! (Okay, so maybe I didn't use exactly those words.) Lol, hopefully it works. :p

Edit: I also took a SS of the original price, so we can compare if they change it soon! ;)

I gave them the head's up. I spoke with a rep on chat, and he told me to get ahold of a supervisor on the phone, and I provided him with that PDF of the 1k unit price. I let them know that we are watching, and they better fix it! (Okay, so maybe I didn't use exactly those words.) Lol, hopefully it works. :p

Edit: I also took a SS of the original price, so we can compare if they change it soon! ;)

Wow, you actually did something about it. You inspired me to do the same rather than just bitch about it on the forums; I went ahead and filed a complaint with the FTC. It probably is worthless, but if enough complaints go through action could be taken.

Text of complaint:

Amazon.com misrepresents the List Price (MSRP) of items for sale, thus inflating the savings they purport to give you.

For example, an Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600k has an MSRP of approximately $315. Amazon.com states the list price is $408.40, thus they are "saving" you ~$93.

There is no mainstream retailer whether brick and mortar or internet that sells the i7-2600k for $400. Amazon is blatantly misstating the savings that you will receive by purchasing this product with them, and this item is only one example of this.

Lol, after I got off the phone with the supervisor I realized it said for 1k units price. I then dug around further on the interwebs and found other retailers listings of prices, and other MSRP's as well. All were much lower than $400, even right at the start. So if they send me an email saying that is the price for 1k units, I'll be able to fire right back with MSRP from no less than 5 different websites, and also links to 5+ different online retailers prices. Silly Amazon, some of us are actually smarter than you. :p

Wow, you actually did something about it. You inspired me to do the same rather than just bitch about it on the forums; I went ahead and filed a complaint with the FTC. It probably is worthless, but if enough complaints go through action could be taken.

Text of complaint:

Kudos to both of you!

Always nice to see people actually do something about it instead of just complaining. Kudos to the ones that did do something.

For me though, I always thoroughly do my research on pricing, I never go off what a website says the original price is. Often, like Newegg, they list the original launch price as the regular price when in fact the regular price has long dropped from the original launch price.

It's no different that what newegg does or any other retailer, they have tons of items with ridiculous list prices. Like the tv's that have a list for $3k (which has never even been listed as much) but sell for $1200, they just want you to think you are getting a deal.

here is Amazons' explanation of List Prices,

List Prices

Except where noted otherwise, the List Price displayed for products on our website represents the full retail price listed on the product itself, suggested by the manufacturer or supplier, or estimated in accordance with standard industry practice. The List Price is a comparative price estimate and may or may not represent the prevailing price in every area on any particular day. For certain items that are offered as a set, the List Price may represent "open-stock" prices, which means the aggregate of the manufacturer's estimated or suggested retail price for each of the items included in the set. Where an item is offered for sale by one of our merchants, the List Price may be provided by the merchant.

Standard industry practice?...especially when selling single processors like that that have to actually be put together with other system components are mostly being bought by tech's such as ourselves. Techs such as ourselves shop around at other tech websites selling single parts, how often do you see those other websites purporting the "list price" as being a full $100 above even the MSRP? Newegg, tigerdirect, etc, never have had the 2600k listed as that much, that I'm aware of?

Back