amazed by quicktime 7

AznAnarchy99

[H]ard|Gawd
downloaded the windows preview, and started watching the 720p trailers in awe.. too bad my fps drops to 13 in som scenes... takes a beast to run... or more optimizations = P

AznAnarchy99 said:
downloaded the windows preview, and started watching the 720p trailers in awe.. too bad my fps drops to 13 in som scenes... takes a beast to run... or more optimizations = P
um i can watch 1080p trailers in awe, no quicktime needed.

Why are you so amazed when your fps drops to 13? QT7 takes an extremely powerful computer to play the HD clips smoothly. WM9 worked way better, lower requirements needed to play the clips and the quality is the same.

QT7 takes an extremely powerful computer to play the HD clips smoothly.
Don't confuse the player and the codec. H.264 is "computationally intense." QT7 may very well be unoptimized, but I haven't heard of a better decoder.

WM9 worked way better, lower requirements needed to play the clips and the quality is the same.
Have you seen the samples of low-bitrate H.264? It's a hell of a lot better than WMV.

I bet that the next version of Quicktime will be much more optimized for intel platforms.

Thud said:
I bet that the next version of Quicktime will be much more optimized for intel platforms.
You dont say? I wonder how you conjured up that idea? :p

Black Morty Rackham said:

if it took them this long to give features that most other FREE applications have, while hording secrets of a "standard" they refuse to share with other companies so they can produce compatible players, they are in fact, crap.

if it took them this long to give features that most other FREE applications have, while hording secrets of a "standard" they refuse to share with other companies so they can produce compatible players, they are in fact, crap.
What are you talking about? There is no free alternative to QuickTime. As far as I know, there is no alternative to QuickTime. QuickTime Player, on the other hand...

QuickTime is so much more than just the Player. Yes, the Player cannot really hold a candle to, say, the bug-ridden VLC or whatever, but the framework is really quite useful. Don't confuse the two.

almostinsane1 said:
There are plenty of free alternatives - WM9, Xvid, AVI, MP4, Mpeg2
What the hell are you talking about? QuickTime isn't a codec, or a container format. There is a "QuickTime format" (MOV) which is a container, but it can contain pretty much anything as far as I know, even Xvids (not sure, though). But what does it have to do with anything? The QuickTime format isn't any less free than WMV or AVI.

You just described it as nothing then? It's not a player, not a codec, not a container. OK then, what makes it so special thats it better than the rest? Because it's made by apple?

AVI is a container as well. WMV is a codec. The fact that quicktime files are containers, means thats as long as the codec that created them is availble, then you can play them elsewhere. As to H.264, I wasn't impressed with Quicktime's playback honestly. Right now, I'd say Nero is leading in H.264. You can get the best info on this at the doom9 forums. :) Quicktime is foolish to have full screen support as a paid feature... you can't even argue that point.

WMV is a codec.
But also a container, isn't it?

As to H.264, I wasn't impressed with Quicktime's playback honestly.
Well, what did you expect? It's not so bad on the Mac, obviously, but the Windows version probably sucks. Not as badly as WMP for Mac, but still...

Quicktime is foolish to have full screen support as a paid feature... you can't even argue that point.
I can't argue that it's foolish, but I can tell you that it is very easy to get full screen in the free player, at least for Mac. Just a line or two of AppleScript code and you're set. ;)

You just described it as nothing then? It's not a player, not a codec, not a container. OK then, what makes it so special thats it better than the rest? Because it's made by apple?
I'm sure someone else could make it even better, so no, it's not the "Apple secret sauce." What makes QuickTime 'better' (I never said it was better, I said it was the only alternative) is the fact that it is an API. Writing an OS X (or presumably a Windows-one, too) with advanced media playback and encoding is a piece of cake thanks to QuickTime. It's not like you can write ten lines of code to have VLC decode video onto an in-game polygon...

I have had 4 HD quicktime trailers play on my PM Dual 2.7 G5 all were playing smoothly!!

Back