Amahi Home Server?

dokument

n00b
I recently got into the home server operating system scene and discovered amahi. I did a search here to see what peoples thoughts were on it and there were only two mentions and they were quite old.

I am currently about 2 months into my Windows Home Server trial and looking for alternatives. I would keep it if it wern't for the slowness of the console and data transfer over the network.

Have you ever used Amahi and what are your thoughts about it?

Thanks,

.dok

Console slow yes, but not data transfer. You're probably connecting with 10/100 or wireless; I transfer at the speed at which my HDs top out at ~60MB/s.

It looks interesting. There seem to be a number of features similar to WHS. After a bit of Wiki reading, however, the back up portion of it doesn't seem to be on par with WHS. I might download a copy and create a VM of it and play around with it, but I don't see it replacing my WHS.

Console slow yes, but not data transfer. You're probably connecting with 10/100 or wireless; I transfer at the speed at which my HDs top out at ~60MB/s.

Is there any way to speed up console? I use it so much, it is quite painful. No it is not as slow as others i have heard on here but i dont understand what is keeping it from being snappy. I am on a 10/100/1000 network but not with topdollar stuff.

It looks interesting. There seem to be a number of features similar to WHS. After a bit of Wiki reading, however, the back up portion of it doesn't seem to be on par with WHS. I might download a copy and create a VM of it and play around with it, but I don't see it replacing my WHS.

Really? I thought the backup sounded pretty neat. At least for what i do. I don't have any of the computer backups turned on because i keep all my files on my server, which is WHS in this case. I do think a full iso copy or something i could run to restore the comptuer would be good if i had some crisis and needed it but Amahi has that network boot backup option that sounded pretty neat. I think i might do something similar and install it on an unused older machine to test it out.

i normally RDP to the server and then launch the console since it is soooo slow on other Clients.

i normally RDP to the server and then launch the console since it is soooo slow on other Clients.

yeah that just makes the connector client completely unnecessary.

I think ill stay with WHS since im not really willing to give up dhcp dns and netboot from my smoothwall firewall.

So today i accidentally deleted a file (non important) from a share and went to recover it.. just to find that there is no built in way to do it. Yes i could remove the hdd and recover it on another machine or i'm sure there are a few 3rd party applications that could bring it back (5 min since deleting it, not overwritten). But why should i have to do that? it seems that WHS offers more backup protection for every machine excluding itself. Maybe i am horribly wrong.
/rant

So what are some other favorite home server options? (Not just NAS)

Windows Home Server
Amahi
Ubuntu Home Server

it seems that WHS offers more backup protection for every machine excluding itself. Maybe i am horribly wrong.
WHS offers the option to back up content on server shares to an external hard drive. If you didn't enable it it's your own fault. RAID is not backup, and has never been.

WHS offers the option to back up content on server shares to an external hard drive. If you didn't enable it it's your own fault. RAID is not backup, and has never been.

Very true, poor choice of words on my part. RAID is just uptime, i'm not using it anyway.

Back