AM4 processor choice for non gaming build

MrCrispy

2[H]4U
Joined
May 14, 2007
Messages
4,001
Loooking to build a server for media/self hosted apps. I know Intel is generally recommended (esp due to quicksync transcoding) for this. But I already have an Intel Arc card I will use - I got it for av1 encoding mostly. This will not be used for games and will run Unraid.

I'm considering older used AM4 parts as they fit in my budget, like a Ryzen 5 3600. Its cheaper than the Zen 3 5600, which will be faster in single core but has same core/thread count.

is it worth getting a 3700x, 5600 or 5700x? (I listed those as they are all 65w) instead?
 
Last edited:
Well, I do have four spare AM4 chips, I could supply you with one sans the 5600x which I'm keeping as a spare to my 5700x3D, so truly three AM4 CPUs are available. I've got the following CPUs available:

Ryzen 1700 [Improbable as it would be a downgrade]
Ryzen 3900x
Ryzen 5950x

Hit me up and I'll make it work in your favor - after all it's the Christmas holiday [It's right around the corner] and you can run the 3900x and the 5950x in Eco Mode lowering the TDP equiv. of these chips which lends to potentially awesome advantage in your use case. Pardon the terrible lighting - I just need to wipe these ultra clean and I've got bunch of extras ThermalGrizzly cleaning pads etc that I can take one and send along with it for your cleaning lesiure.
AM4 CPUs Available.jpg
 
Last edited:
if you have an intel arc for the grunt work and do not expect to do any compute on the cpu (other than managing few files copy...), take the cheapest-lower watt you can find ? that a lot of CPU regardless, or do you have a very serious ZFS performance in mind ?
 
For your use case as long as the ryzen 3600 is your floor just whatever is cheapest. I just sold one for 20 bucks on Christmas. Keep your eye out for deals on FB, NextDoor, OfferUp, Reddit, STH FS, and here. Something will show up eventually.
 
I still have the back then Amazon priced $85 brand new 1600 AF, thinking it's a 65-watt part and it was running DDR4 3333Mhz speed.
 
Back
Top