AM4 CPU for media server & 4K cameras?

daphatgrant

Fi-yah!
Staff member
I ordered a 3300X over 5 months ago and am giving up. I've got a B450 Tomahawk Max, 16GB 3600 ram, GT710 and 500GB 970 evo all unopened waiting for a cpu. I've currently got a i3-2105 that desperately needs to be replaced. I upgraded the case, psu and storage drives (4) 8tb Ironwolfs last year. I bought a copy of Blue Iris to use for the (3) 4K IP cams I bought and the current i3 can't handle it. So, AM4 cpu suggestions for file/media/NVR, other than the 3300X of course?

TLDR: Need AM4 CPU that can handle file/media streaming and 4K IP camera recording, current i3-2105 can't handle the cameras.

$300 ish, I'm toying with trying to get a 5600X but am afraid I'd be waiting another 5 months, lol. I am willing to go over $300 though I guess as I'm really not sure what price range I should be looking at.

Last edited:
$300 ish, I'm toying with trying to get a 5600X but am afraid I'd be waiting another 5 months, lol.
Yeah, I'll be selling my 3800x as soon as I get a 5900x, hopefully on launch day, but I hesitate to say it's available until I actually have a 5900x in hand.

Well after some additional research it appears that Intel is the way to go, primarily for Quick Sync. A i7-9700K and MSI Z390-A Pro board are about $420 so not terribly more than I was considering spending on a possible 5600X.

Last edited:
You can also get cheap Quadro cards that can do GPU Acceleration. I use P400 that I pass through to a windows VM for Plex duty. IMO even a 5600X is overkill. Get a cheap 2600X/3600. My VM runs on a 2 core Intel Xeon and 5GB ram and can handle multiple streams at once

You can also get cheap Quadro cards that can do GPU Acceleration. I use P400 that I pass through to a windows VM for Plex duty. IMO even a 5600X is overkill. Get a cheap 2600X/3600. My VM runs on a 2 core Intel Xeon and 5GB ram and can handle multiple streams at once
you pay for plex pass right? I don't think you can enable GPU acceleration any other way.

I ordered a 3300X over 5 months ago and am giving up. I've got a B450 Tomahawk Max, 16GB 3600 ram, GT710 and 500GB 970 evo all unopened waiting for a cpu. I've currently got a i3-2105 that desperately needs to be replaced. I upgraded the case, psu and storage drives (4) 8tb Ironwolfs last year. I bought a copy of Blue Iris to use for the (3) 4K IP cams I bought and the current i3 can't handle it. So, AM4 cpu suggestions for file/media/NVR, other than the 3300X of course?

TLDR: Need AM4 CPU that can handle file/media streaming and 4K IP camera recording, current i3-2105 can't handle the cameras.

You're doing it wrong. Out of the box BlueIris generally doesn't check the box for direct to disk for whatever reason, so you are transcoding video that is probably already H.264.

https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/optimizing-blue-iris-s-cpu-usage/

That will stop transcoding and just write the stream out directly. Pretty much every camera you buy these days have a hardware H.264 encoder chip in them, so the camera should be doing all the work, not the server.

On the client side it doesn't really matter what the cameras are as you're just getting a single stream at whatever bitrate you set if you use the web gui. It just combines all of the cameras feeds into on stream.

You're doing it wrong. Out of the box BlueIris generally doesn't check the box for direct to disk for whatever reason, so you are transcoding video that is probably already H.264.

https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/optimizing-blue-iris-s-cpu-usage/

That will stop transcoding and just write the stream out directly. Pretty much every camera you buy these days have a hardware H.264 encoder chip in them, so the camera should be doing all the work, not the server.

On the client side it doesn't really matter what the cameras are as you're just getting a single stream at whatever bitrate you set if you use the web gui. It just combines all of the cameras feeds into on stream.
I did check the direct to disk box but will certainly take a look at the link you attached. I've gathered a lot of good info from IPCamTalk so far. This dudes videos on Blue Iris have been pretty helpful as well.

Last edited:
Back