AM3+ Will Be Around For "Years to Come"

How do we know AM3+ isn't profitable? Some of the FX processors seem to rank well on Amazon's top sellers list, I assume they're selling in decent numbers.

I'm not sure where FM2+ is going I'd prefer a single socket solution from AMD. I'm still using AM3 for most builds, where budget users don't really need much GPU performance I can get by with some good builds at a low cost.

The 9xx chipset is an evolutionary dead-end whose feature-set is not going to be improved and is barely competitive in the mid-range, let alone the high-end where it purports to belong.

Worse still, it is tied to a processor ranger that does not have the performance to compete at the high-end (£150+), and no longer has the cachet of a halo product in public consciousness.

Taken together, CPU and chipset form a platform that is heavily integrated into technologies now defunct on the desktop, such as hypertransport, with high manufacture costs combined with low returns.

In short, it does nothing for its future, represents only a support cost in the present, and some nostalgia in the past.

AM3+ is dead.

There will never be (IMHO), an AM3+ SteamrollerFX, and it seems like AMD are content to ride Piledriver into the grave to milk as much ROI from its 32nm facilities as it possibly can.

if console games are on the (same steady low spec Drug) going to be on the same road AM3+ processors should be ok for the next few years if you have a good graphics card. People think once a processor is a year old it's old trash already but look at Sandy Bridge which is like from 2011.

Okay but look at it this way , we have seen a lot of firings and other stuff within AMD last year.

Since they are now about cutting cost, why not drop something that is not profitable , hence no updates for AM3+ but updates for FM2(+) , would love to see 8 core Steamroller but after that the platform is done anyway..

I expect to see the Steamroller cores on the 990FX platform. After that, a new socket is most likely on its way which will probably work with DDR4. FM2+ is probably not the one for the FX line but the next socket stands a good chance of being the unified socket.

Wait for FM3 ;-)
Anyway it's unlikely I will be updating my personal build for some time at least in terms of motherboard. In 4 years time who knows what will be out there.

I don't see AM3+ as dead yet. Too early to say on Steamroller it might be 2014 but I think it will turn up

990/970 feature set is fine for those who know what they want and know what they are getting nostalgia has nothing to do with it. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a steamroller fx variant for AM3+ (because AM3+ is not dead). I guess only time will tell.

990/970 feature set is fine for those who know what they want and know what they are getting nostalgia has nothing to do with it. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a steamroller fx variant for AM3+ (because AM3+ is not dead). I guess only time will tell.

Agreed, however it is annoying that no one will put either on mATX because you have to just have to have onboard video in that form factor. That stupidity is going to force me into a FM2 build next time because I'll be damn if I use a six year old chipset in a new build.

Agreed, however it is annoying that no one will put either on mATX because you have to just have to have onboard video in that form factor. That stupidity is going to force me into a FM2 build next time because I'll be damn if I use a six year old chipset in a new build.

I don't see why they can't just make a steamroller fx type of chip for fm2 and just leave the igpu off the chip, I understand the majority of people using a apu board are using an apu, but it's like kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Sorry for the grammar I'm lazy typing. :p

You guys did see the news for FM2+ mainboards being announced with Gigabyte having something like 7 of them.

I don't think they would announce that many just for APU's.

With the number of Fm2+ motherboards coming out. I don't think Amd plan on releasing another Am3+ processor.

It would be nice to see another am3+ product but I don't have my hopes up. I think Amd is going to scrap the Fx line and do only Apu's from here on out. Of course there are rumors floating around about a 12 core am4 chip......

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/32164...n-12-core-6ghz-am4-based-processor/index.html

LOL would be awesome if true, but unlikely

Well, My AM3+ is now a dead-end platform. Now I know how EVERY Intel customer feels.

Now I know how EVERY Intel customer feels.

One good thing about dead end platforms is motherboards and CPUs tend to hold their value much longer this way which is very good when you want to sell your stuff back.

One good thing about dead end platforms is motherboards and CPUs tend to hold their value much longer this way which is very good when you want to sell your stuff back.

Actually, I would much rather AMD make their server sockets (C32 and G34) mainstream like intel has their sockets unified. If AMD has the C32 socket take the place of their FM2/3 for mainstream APUs and CPUs (up to 8 cores with or without integrated graphics) and then sell the consumer version of socket G34 for unlocked versions of their 8-16core Opterons. Imagine that: a 16-core unlocked CPU on a 9-slot motherboard supporting quad SLI/CFX: that would be a real performance machine.

Does C32 support a GPU and PCIe controller on the CPU?

To me both of these moves would be a step backwards for users that is with the current C32 and G34 sockets replacing the 2 desktop sockets.

Does C32 support a GPU and PCIe controller on the CPU?

To me both of these moves would be a step backwards for users that is with the current C32 and G34 sockets replacing the 2 desktop sockets.

AFAIK there isn't a single C32 cpu that has a GPU with it. Not sure on pci-e controller....but I doubt it.

AFAIK there isn't a single C32 cpu that has a GPU with it. Not sure on pci-e controller....but I doubt it.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to release an updated version of C32 that replaces FM2 completely, or a completely new socket that replaces both, my point is that AMD should unify it's server and consumer sockets like Intel does, and also release unlocked G34 CPUs.

I think AMD should release an Enthusiast version of their G34 with fully unlocked steamroller opterons.

The 9xx chipset is an evolutionary dead-end whose feature-set is not going to be improved and is barely competitive in the mid-range, let alone the high-end where it purports to belong.

What are you talking about?

990FX has been a great chipset. Intel's 'extreme' x79 platform still only has 2 native SATA 6GBs ports. z87 has native USB3, but limited PCI-E lanes. The only real features Intel has and AMD doesn't are thunderbolt and PCI-E 3.0, neither of which matter right now. AMD also doesn't arbitrarily disable things like ECC support.

AMD's problem is CPU performance, not the chipset.

What are you talking about?

990FX has been a great chipset. Intel's 'extreme' x79 platform still only has 2 native SATA 6GBs ports. z87 has native USB3, but limited PCI-E lanes. The only real features Intel has and AMD doesn't are thunderbolt and PCI-E 3.0, neither of which matter right now. AMD also doesn't arbitrarily disable things like ECC support.

AMD's problem is CPU performance, not the chipset.

Thank you, finally someone with some sense. I think the CPU's perform great, but, they could definitely be better. :D That said, I find the FX 8350 and 8320 both work very fast with what I do on a daily basis.

Thank you, finally someone with some sense. I think the CPU's perform great, but, they could definitely be better. :D That said, I find the FX 8350 and 8320 both work very fast with what I do on a daily basis.

Yeah. I've been happy with my 8320. There are a few games where the higher single-threaded performance of an Intel CPU makes a difference (Kerbal Space Program comes to mind) but overall Piledriver is a good value.

I think AMD should release an Enthusiast version of their G34 with fully unlocked steamroller opterons.

I would wait till excavator and make it based on DDR4 with quad channel support with a new socket the unifies the enthusiast and server.

I would wait till excavator and make it based on DDR4 with quad channel support with a new socket the unifies the enthusiast and server.
Damn, that would be a lot of bandwidth! Servers and/or A.P.U.s would benefit greatly from that.

Back