AM3 Socket cooler for mid tower case

Using the CM Hyper 212+, I finally got around to stress testing my overclock at stock voltages overnight with Prime95.
For the first 15 minutes or so AMD Overdrive was showing ~52C, but after ~8 hours of crunching the average dropped to ~42C.

Using the CM Hyper 212+, I finally got around to stress testing my overclock at stock voltages overnight with Prime95.
For the first 15 minutes or so AMD Overdrive was showing ~52C, but after ~8 hours of crunching the average dropped to ~42C.

Nice! Both are lower than anything I get while using the processor. Hell, 42C is lower than I get at idle...
Are you using Arctic Silver 5?

Nice! Both are lower than anything I get while using the processor. Hell, 42C is lower than I get at idle...
Are you using Arctic Silver 5?

Just the stuff that came with the 212+. I let the guy that bought my old 939 processor have my Artic Silver 5.

I'll do some more testing later to verify the temperatures. I'd love to be able to push this thing to 4GHz.

well, here are the pics.....didnt get a chance yesterday(computer is at 2d 14h runtime lol been doin stuff with it), heres some pics of the CCF on a Crosshair III with OCZ Repear ram, sorry for the low quality, it was taken with my iPhone EDGE.

img0047iw.jpg

and

img0048sa.jpg

hope it may help others

Did you Hyper 212+ users apply the thermal compound on the actual heatsink, in between the Heat pipe crevasis? Or just a dot or so on the actual CPU cooler itself?

Did you Hyper 212+ users apply the thermal compound on the actual heatsink, in between the Heat pipe crevasis? Or just a dot or so on the actual CPU cooler itself?

A dot on the CPU for me. I had to take it off and remount it because I have a penis and don't read directions.
While doing this I didn't bother reapplying or anything and the coverage looked pretty good so I went with it.

A dot on the CPU for me. I had to take it off and remount it because I have a penis and don't read directions.
While doing this I didn't bother reapplying or anything and the coverage looked pretty good so I went with it.

1. I lold at your way you decided to tell me you aren't some pussy who reads directions.

2. I read on the interweb that it's ideal to put the stuff in the crevices between the heat pipes and mounting flat panel thing that sits on the CPU. thoughts?

1. I lold at your way you decided to tell me you aren't some pussy who reads directions.

2. I read on the interweb that it's ideal to put the stuff in the crevices between the heat pipes and mounting flat panel thing that sits on the CPU. thoughts?

the ideal thing is to solder the crevices

Well the problem with HDT that I've been reading is there are spaces and the surface is not ideally flat. So in order to "fix" that, the compound has to be more spread out and... in places.

Well the problem with HDT that I've been reading is there are spaces and the surface is not ideally flat. So in order to "fix" that, the compound has to be more spread out and... in places.

Did you spread a little bit inbetween the cracks with your HDT? I'm doin research while I wait for it to get here

I did both.... a small amount in the center of the CPU IHS, and I also applied some along the heatpipes to help fill in the gaps.

I did both.... a small amount in the center of the CPU IHS, and I also applied some along the heatpipes to help fill in the gaps.

That's what I was thinking about doing. Putting a very minimal amount in each channel of each heat pipe just for packing purposes, and then a small dot on the cpu. I guess I was afraid cause someone said that'd be to much compound

Next bugging point. I've seen 2 videos for installation. Install the backplate first, or the backplate last (aka - turn the mobo over after you put the heatsink on and screw thru the mobo holes)

Next bugging point. I've seen 2 videos for installation. Install the backplate first, or the backplate last (aka - turn the mobo over after you put the heatsink on and screw thru the mobo holes)

I installed the backplate first.... it worked pretty well for me.

Did you spread a little bit inbetween the cracks with your HDT? I'm doin research while I wait for it to get here

Not really. But I'm going to replace this best buy rocketfish brand with a 212+ soon. So I intended to make sure everything was the best I could, then.

Not really. But I'm going to replace this best buy rocketfish brand with a 212+ soon. So I intended to make sure everything was the best I could, then.

I'm a little confused by what you mean. You inteded to make sure everything was the best, when you did own one? Or are you talking about you doing research as well.

I'm a little confused by what you mean. You inteded to make sure everything was the best, when you did own one? Or are you talking about you doing research as well.

Let me rephrase. I got fed up with the noise of the stock cooler for my 955. Being undecided and not wanting to wait for shipping I found that Best Buy has a CM 212+ look-a-like for $30. I had a $10 certificate so for $20 and a much quieter system I was in.

I haven't put 100% effort into making sure the compound is the best way it can be spread because I still plan on replacing it with a better cooler.

I think me fumbling around and remounting it caused the compound to fill the spaces pretty well.

Just finished playing Metro 2033 for about an hour and the temps never topped 40C in AMD Overdrive.

the compound is not "more spread out" to say, rather more will be needed.....I personally did not have a huge problem, I put my CCF on the same as Ive ever installed a HS, and have had great temps

I think me fumbling around and remounting it caused the compound to fill the spaces pretty well.

Just finished playing Metro 2033 for about an hour and the temps never topped 40C in AMD Overdrive.

okay cool. I guess I should just put the normal amount on my CPU/maybe a little extra to fill the spaces, then?

Back