AM3+ Mini ITX

Dayaks

[H]F Junkie
I thought it'd be fun to make an AM3+ mini ITX SFF but apparently there are no mobos? Did I miss something?

That's unfortunate. I kept looking and I don't think FM2+ will fullfil my needs.

bulldozer it too inefficient to be packaged onto a form factor as small as mitx. smallest you can go with fx processors is matx, even then oc'ing is very sketchy on those boards. why don't you try a matx build instead. there are some great matx cases that are quite small like the thermaltake core.

Would be good if someone did produce a ITX board even capping it to 95w CPU's would give you access to 4, 6 & some of the 8 core CPU's, that's what they did with that zotac MB it was capped to 95w

I was really hoping to find an AMD version of the Asus Maximus Impact ITX board. It has 8+2 phase VRMs. None of the current ITX/mATX AMD mobos are awe inspiring, especially since I wanted to OC one of the better CPUs. Not going to do that on a cheap $60 board with worse VRMs than Intel's ITX....

Hopefully Zen hurries up and launches ahead of time.

Last edited:
There's nothing more modern though. Honestly? I love AMD products just as much as the next person, but when it comes to mini-itx, Intel's got the market pretty much wrapped up.

Depends on the situation. AMD has nothing to match Intel on the high end, but they do have a much better iGPU. With AMD's socket AM1/FM2+ processors I've never had any issues with video. I don't know why, but video playback looks really good on AMD APUs and terrible on Intel iGPUs. The cheap AM1 chips play 1080p video with a few seconds of buffering, the FM2+ APU's can use GPU shaders in MPC-HC and actually make decent midrange gaming machines.

I have a little socket AM1 ITX machine as my secondary/media center PC in the living room. My main i7 4930k desktop uses 170w idle, this thing uses 19w. 40w max. It has a single 120mm fan in the entire enclosure and its pretty much silent. With the AMD graphics its actually compatible with a lot of old games. It seems like a waste to spend a whole lot more on a higher-end Intel CPU and a dedicated GPU when I can just stream most of my more demanding games from my desktop via Steam. Intel CPU's may have better IPC, but AMD's cores are 'fast enough,' especially in this case.

If you are looking for something with a 990 chipset; don't think you will find it for a ITX. The 990s run notoriously hot and need some kind of cooling solution. There isn't enough real estate on a ITX board for that.

I thought it'd be fun to make an AM3+ mini ITX SFF but apparently there are no mobos? Did I miss something?

I had the same plan and eye opening search. I had two mitx cases and all AMD combos on my house, so I didn't want to go with Intel. The best I could find was the Minix 890gx-usb3 which I killed in a boneheaded mistake. The next I found was an Asus M4A88T-I Deluxe. Good board. Running a 95w PII 1055T with mild OC. I'm tempted to try one of the newish 95w FX-8320e. No official support for this CPU, but maybe it will unofficially work. The 6 core 1055T is great, but I can't help looking for hidden capabilities in my hardware (not the cause of death for the Minix mono). I hear Sapphire makes a mitx AM3 mobo too, but I never see it for sale.

Glendor...

Last edited:
Back