• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

am2 or conroe

future upgrade


  • Total voters
    227
Once price slashes come I dunno if conroe will be the best bang for the buck but for overall performance Conroe will take the lead. One thing I think makes the 965 boards nice is that so far they have seemed to work better with kentsfield which in turn is nice for upgradability.
 
Cpt Twitchy said:
Once price slashes come I dunno if conroe will be the best bang for the buck but for overall performance Conroe will take the lead. One thing I think makes the 965 boards nice is that so far they have seemed to work better with kentsfield which in turn is nice for upgradability.

Sure they will. It would be almost impossible for AMD to price match performance wise and then still make money or loose money until they have something better. After reading about 15 different Conroe reviews, E6600 is faster than FX-62 80% of the time in real world apps. Do you honestly think AMD is going to cut the price to E6600's $350 (average Pre-order price) to match it? The rest of the X2's don't really stand a chance price wise.

There are rumors, strong rumors that Intel will launch lower speed 4000 series in the 4th quater to take back the lower end of the market. 1.6, 1.8, and 2Gz with 800MHz FSB and 2MB L2's.

Last but not least, some board makers will release i945 chipsets that are compat with Conroe as well and I saw one of these for $61. There's an $82 Asrock with a 8X-4X dual socket PCI-E.
 
I use AMD and I will be the first to admit FX62 performance or higher for 1/4 the price makes it hard to beat Conroe once its out with motherboards which support SLI. Right now we have AMD and a NDA on Conroe that expired. Still waiting on the launch. If you have an ES maybe microsoft will help Intel track you down. Or even better stop XP from working on your core stepping. :p
 
I am taking the Conroe route because of the high end. Do be aware that factors such as performance at a certain price point, the ability to upgrade and keep the same socket and memory, and chipset performance (590 on AMD works far better than 590 on Intel for example) are all factors in the choice.

I know Conroe is fantastic. Just be wise about the choices, because with some things in mind, it may not be perfect. Due to the HT interconnect, I wouldn't doubt if the 4way cpu's of 2007 don't make the race a lot closer than it is now between A64 and Conroe. All factors need to be considered, not just the cpu.

$.02
 
Back
Top