AM2 AM2+ AM3 HSF compatibility

Pnanasnoic

Limp Gawd
For the record, are all AM2, AM2+, and AM3 HSFs interchangeable? Are there any exceptions? Thanks

yes including 754 and 939.. they all use the same mounting bracket.. one of the good things about amd.. i believe socket A is the only one that used a different mounting bracket..

Socket A could accept the same HSFs as Socket 7. It was a great way to make a Socket 7 system passively cooled.

God, I feel old now :(

Socket A could accept the same HSFs as Socket 7. It was a great way to make a Socket 7 system passively cooled.

God, I feel old now :(

lol you and me both.. :p still have a socket A athlon xp 1700+ overclocked to a 2000+ running in my closet doing boinc projects.. cpu wont die even though ive gone through 3 mother boards with that system.. until the cpu dies im going to keep running it..

To clarify, you are saying that a HSF bought for a socket 939 motherboard will be compatible with an AM3 motherboard?

I have a Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu and am wondering if it will fit my new AM3 motherboard, since the stock HSF is really loud.

Yes it is compatible I actually bought a rocketfish hsf fan (bestbuy brand) that works on all amd and 775 1156 intel boards too for only 12 bucks!

yes including 754 and 939.. they all use the same mounting bracket...
Almost!
The outer lugs are somewhat wider for 754 and 939 than for the AMs, so coolers designed for AM sockets using the outer lugs might need some tweaking to fit on older motherboards.

Furthermore, the bolt through holes holding the brackets:
AM series use four holes, one in each corner.
939 (and I assume 754) only use two holes, above and below the socket.

Cheers
Olle

Back