• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

am i wrong??

biggduub

n00b
Joined
Dec 27, 2005
Messages
8
Ok.. I think I have completely misunderstood how the USB-UIRT works. What I was thinking was I could use “ANY” remote to control my Directv through the USB-UIRT.

What I thought, and tell me if Im wrong was I can use the remote, (My remote) that came with my directv receiver (DRD430RG).

I haven’t been able to get anything to work until I accidentally programmed the codes for the RCA Receiver instead of what I thought I was suppose to be programing, which was codes for “any” remote with the SageTV 0-9 thing.

So do I need to get a remote that has its own receiver that will interact with SageTV. So when I put in a channel number it will send that number to the computer from its own receiver then the USB-UIRT will send the command to change the channel to my Directv Receiver.

Is that the way its suppose to work or is the USB-UIRT suppose to be able to control SageTv and change the channels on my Directv Receiver?
 
Well you should be able to use MOST remotes with USB-UIRT. However their is an exception case for it.

If you notice on the usb-uirt page that the reciever frequency range is 34-40KHz and their is an ADD-ON option for 56KHz. It may be that your directTV reciever works in the 56KHz range.

Now the transmittor on the USB-UIRT has a 30-60Khz range so you can use the USB-UIRT as a blaster for your reciever you just need to find the codes file online for it. I had to do this with my Comcast cable boxes, the remotes were 56KHz but I did not plan on using the remotes but needed to use the blaster with them.
 
biggduub said:
Is that the way its suppose to work or is the USB-UIRT suppose to be able to control SageTv and change the channels on my Directv Receiver?

Sorry just read this part. It is a BAD idea in general to use the same remote to control SageTV as you use to control your DirectTV Reciever. Simple because you hae overlap. However if you block the IR recievers on the DirectTV recievers you should be ok.

I would probably just get a programmable remote and use that to control SageTV.
 
yeah, you are asking for trouble using your directv remote to control sage. but you can take another kind of remote and use the free version of girder to map keyboard strokes to the IR commands. It takes a bit to set up, but once you have it you will be able to use most remotes of your choice to control sage.
 
IDversusEGO said:
yeah, you are asking for trouble using your directv remote to control sage. but you can take another kind of remote and use the free version of girder to map keyboard strokes to the IR commands. It takes a bit to set up, but once you have it you will be able to use most remotes of your choice to control sage.

Actually you do not need Girder if you are using SageTV. SageTV allows you to map any IR command to ANY SageTV command. Rather easy to do.

Girder is useful for control more Apps than just SageTV, but if all you need is SageTV control just use the builting IR control within SageTV.
 
I know that sage has a built in IR mapping for sage to controll the STB, I didn't know that it had one for the user controlling sage. That's nice.
 
IDversusEGO said:
I know that sage has a built in IR mapping for sage to controll the STB, I didn't know that it had one for the user controlling sage. That's nice.

Yep, and it is VERY easy to configure. Just go to Detail Setup->Commands. You select the command you want to map then hit the button on the remote.
 
ohhhh.. ok.. i see what i was doing wrong.. yeah the remote that came with directv doesnt seem to work to well.. not that many bottons work for it.

you say take another programmable remote. I did some research and it looks like the firefly, Streamzap and MCE remotes are pretty popular. which one would work best for what i want to do:

play
pause
fast forward
rewind
right click
left click
up
down
menu
info

well i think u get the point.. i want to be able to do just about everything u want and need to be able to run SageTV from a remote.
 
Back
Top