[H]Lurker Supreme[/H]
Guys.. just got this message when my pc was booted

img5375s.jpg

And this

errordkz.jpg

Is this "backup NOW!" time?? :eek:

Looks like your screwed.

Backup time was before this happens.

more than likely your data is gone, unless you reboot and it recognizes the array.
I would wait to anything until somebody more knowledgeable comes along and suggest something.
I have never tried to recover a RAID0 Array, mainly because its either data that is regularly backed up or just temp stuff.

You could try a reboot and try to get the array recognized, but chance are you are SOL.

No, cause if you aint backed up already, you are already screwed.

Actually, it looks like one of your drives is reporting a SMART error. That is a high probability that that drive is about to die. I am assuming that the array is still bootable.

Never, ever, ever,ever, never, ever, keep important data on a Raid 0 without a current backup of your files. That said, ....... have you tried swapping the data cables, different ports on the mobo, and different power connectors. Those are some possible but not common sources of problems.

Otherwise, you can try downloading the diagnostics from the WD web site.

Don

Yeah, I thought so.
It's very unlikely any faults in cable/ports as I haven't touch the insides for awhile.

Luckily my last backup was only 2 weeks ago :)

Time for new hard disk then... no RAID 0 this time around :p

if you are not going to use the drive anymore i hear putting the drive in a sanwich bag then putting it in the fridge /freezer can occasionally bring them back to life again long enough to get some data off them, worth a try!

I've actually tried that with limited success on my boss' drive
I think that only works when the drive exhibit the click-of-death symptom.

But I might give it a go if I couldn't save the rest of data that wasn't on the backup set.

Any recommendation on a proper SATA RAID controller that doesn't cost a fortune?
The mobo supports RAID 5 but my understanding is on-board RAID controller is pretty much useless performance wise.

No you're not screwed because those are raid0 and you were still able to boot. But should the array collapse you will learn a quick lesson of the joys of raid 0.

The drive may still be under warranty. Check WDs web site.

Raid 0 is not all bad. You just need to understand it's limitations and cover your backside.

A "GOOD" Raid controller is not cheap. The least expensive route is to pick up a Perc 5i off of Ehay. If you are thinking about going that route, there are a few things you need to consider before you make the leap. Areca is a good brand, but are a little pricey. I've heard mixed reviews about some of the other major brands.

Don

No you're not screwed because those are raid0 and you were still able to boot. But should the array collapse you will learn a quick lesson of the joys of raid 0.

Well I have always known the flipside of raid 0, but didn't realize it could happen to me :p

A "GOOD" Raid controller is not cheap. The least expensive route is to pick up a Perc 5i off of Ehay. If you are thinking about going that route, there are a few things you need to consider before you make the leap. Areca is a good brand, but are a little pricey. I've heard mixed reviews about some of the other major brands.

Don

Hmm.. maybe single drive config is the best way for me at the moment as this is my main working pc, gotta have this thing running asap.

Thanks.

*edit*
I just found this DELL PERC 5/I 8 Port SAS/SATAII Raid , 512M Cache
The SAS to SATA cable should provide connections to 'normal' sata drives right?

Last edited:
Hmm.. maybe single drive config is the best way for me at the moment as this is my main working pc, gotta have this thing running asap.

Thanks.

*edit*
I just found this DELL PERC 5/I 8 Port SAS/SATAII Raid , 512M Cache
The SAS to SATA cable should provide connections to 'normal' sata drives right?

Ebay is the best place to pick up a Perc 5i card. That's where I got mine. Make sure you get one with a pci bracket, not the Dell Server bracket. Also get the BBU and cable with the card. Make sure it has a memory card with it too. 256 meg should be plenty. You should be able to find the card, memory, and a BBU for around $120 bux or less at times. The SFF 8484 to 4 X Sata cable can be had on the web for less than 20 bux delivered. Ah, I just noticed that it looks like you are in NZ. That may be a good price for the card for you. I recommend getting the BBU for it though as newer version of the firmware will give you an error message on boot that must be cleared if you don't have a BBU installed.

Now, some Intel based mobo's won't work with this card. If yours is affected, there is a simple fix that involves taping off a couple of pins. Very easy to do. Also, this card is designed to have a certain amount of airflow provided by the case. I just tie wrapped a fan over the heatsink on mine.

Don

Ebay is the best place to pick up a Perc 5i card. That's where I got mine. Make sure you get one with a pci bracket, not the Dell Server bracket. Also get the BBU and cable with the card. Make sure it has a memory card with it too. 256 meg should be plenty. You should be able to find the card, memory, and a BBU for around $120 bux or less at times. The SFF 8484 to 4 X Sata cable can be had on the web for less than 20 bux delivered. Ah, I just noticed that it looks like you are in NZ. That may be a good price for the card for you. I recommend getting the BBU for it though as newer version of the firmware will give you an error message on boot that must be cleared if you don't have a BBU installed.

Now, some Intel based mobo's won't work with this card. If yours is affected, there is a simple fix that involves taping off a couple of pins. Very easy to do. Also, this card is designed to have a certain amount of airflow provided by the case. I just tie wrapped a fan over the heatsink on mine.

Don

Yes I live in NZ, it's hard to find these things in bargain prices down here, this is as good as it gets.

I'll ask if the guy can throw in the BBU for a reasonable price as well.

The mobo is P35/ICH9R (Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R), you got the same chipset mentioned here.
The only issues I know of are with some Intel chipsets. But both of my Intel based Mobos worked fine with my Perc 5i. I have an Asus P5k P35 based and a Biostar P45 based Mobo and the Perc 5 worked with both of them.

Don
Hopefully it will go without a hitch :)

Aww crap.. I just realized my mobo doesn't have 8X PCI-E slot, or even 4X slot for that matter :(

I guess I have no choice going back to the original plan, plain ol' single drive config.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Nice catch on the missing slot. My P5K does have a 4X slot, and that is my Perc's home for now. A X1 slot would only run at 250 MB/sec. Fast enough to see some pretty good benefits. I am not sure if the Perc will run in a X1 slot though. If you would like, I could move mine and see if it boots up.

The issues with the Perc 5 seem to be MOBO specific, not chipset specific. The workaround is easy anyways.

Don

Nice catch on the missing slot. My P5K does have a 4X slot, and that is my Perc's home for now. A X1 slot would only run at 250 MB/sec. Fast enough to see some pretty good benefits. I am not sure if the Perc will run in a X1 slot though. If you would like, I could move mine and see if it boots up.

The issues with the Perc 5 seem to be MOBO specific, not chipset specific. The workaround is easy anyways.

Don
Nah don't worry, I'm not sure sandwiching the card between my 8800GT and the soundcard is a good idea, as you mentioned before and from other resources the IOP333 processor can get pretty hot.
There is not enough room for any airflow anyway.

Maybe its time for me to upgrade the whole system :D

Thanks Don.

Back