Am i retarded?

sl1982

Limp Gawd
OK so heres the deal. I decided to switch to linux (of which i know nothing about btw) and was trying to set up FAH. So i was following the guide Xilikon graciously provided and im stumped.

So i have the fah tar file extracted and i try to run the command in the terminal:
./fah6 -configonly

And heres what I get:
bash: ./fah6: No such file or directory

Im totally clueless. Any help would be appreciated. Oh and im using ubuntu 8.10

You probably need to navigate to the directory where the fah6 executable is extracted before starting the client. If it was extracted to a directory that you created specifically for F@H, go to that directory and start it from there. If you type 'dir' at the command prompt, what is listed?

shawn@shawn-desktop:~/folding$ dir
fah6 FAH6.02-Linux.tgz mpiexec

it shows that

Is this the SMP client or console client?

Edit, I noticed it's the SMP client

shawn@shawn-desktop:~/folding$ fah6 -smp
bash: fah6: command not found
shawn@shawn-desktop:~/folding$

Strange, that command should have started the client. It works on my Linux installations and they are based on the Ubuntu distro as well. :confused:

you probably have to install the 32-bit libraries.....

the command is something like "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs", though you may not need to sudo it (can't remember off hand, but whatever)

you probably have to install the 32-bit libraries.....

the command is something like "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs", though you may not need to sudo it (can't remember off hand, but whatever)

ding, we have a winner !

You must execute "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs".

You also may need to set the permissions on the executable:

chmod 755 fah6

Awesome, ill try that. Hey Xilikon maybe you could mention that in the guide for us noob types?

Awesome, ill try that. Hey Xilikon maybe you could mention that in the guide for us noob types?

Fixed :) Actually, I thought it's already there so I'm sorry about omitting this step...

No probs. Im sure most people that use linux already know about the libs or already had them installed for something else

No probs. Im sure most people that use linux already know about the libs or already had them installed for something else
Yep, I took it for granted that you had them installed. Sorry for overlooking that, I know what a headache Linux can be for a new user. :(

Yeah it seems i have a lot to learn. But it looks fairly interesting and im liking it so far. Couldnt get the folding set up as a service but thats ok

Anyone have any idea why fahspy wont see the folders i have set up to monitor the linux. i set up the samba shares and i can see them in windows explorer and fahmon, but not fahspy

Yeah it seems i have a lot to learn. But it looks fairly interesting and im liking it so far. Couldnt get the folding set up as a service but thats ok
I'm still new to Linux also, since the end of the summer.

Anyone have any idea why fahspy wont see the folders i have set up to monitor the linux. i set up the samba shares and i can see them in windows explorer and fahmon, but not fahspy
FahSpy seems to be a hit or miss affair. Some of my clients are picked up and others are not. It seems to be defendant on a host of factors. Tigerbiten replied in a recent thread concerning monitoring clients and he stated that the way he monitors his Linux clients is by disabling any firewall between these clients and the monitoring system. I don't monitor them at all, and that has proved quite a bad decision in light of the A2 core hung client issue.

If Fahspy doesn't want to see it, try to mount a drive letter on the share then point Fahspy on the new drive letter. I think it's because Fahspy is poor at handling networked paths.

Yep, always check for the ia32-libs for LinSMP and make sure it's a 64 bit flavor. Doing the "chmod" thing (making the fah6 file executable is only necessary in the single client Linux) Don't feel bad, until I learned about some Linux flavors having the 32 bit libs and some not I made the same "boo boo". ;)

For the first time setup just go to the folder holding the fah6 file, type ./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9 -configonly, answer the questions, hit enter and away you go. It should DL a WU and stop the first time (hence the -configonly flag, good for changing info like team, boxen #, user name, etc). To continue folding said WU stay in the same directory and type fah6 -smp -verbosity 9, -advmethods (optional, for the core 2 WU's) :D

Some Linux flavors have the 32 bit libs out of the box and some don't (like Ubuntu, Kubuntu or, I think, any Debian flavors of Linux) Just do the ole' "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs" and if your flavor has them or is incompatible with them the OS will tell you so. :confused:

Edit: I just read your post. Sorry I missed the FahSpy vs the FAHmon thing :(. I'm just the opposite. I have problems with FAHmon (hung stuff), but I've been trouble free with FahSpy. (go figure :confused:)

Folding and WCGing for a CURE

All working good now. Folding away nicely. As for the fahspy thing i did try to map the network folder to a drive with no success. Not a big deal as fahmon seems to be working ok. Fahspy just had a bit more helpful info like time per frame. Anyways thanks for all the help guys. :)

Glad to see everything is working fine now. If there's anything else just post here. Linux takes a while to get accustomed to but once you get the hang of it, it's like second nature after.

Back