• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Am I missing something obvious? ("LCD chop")

ShoeLace

Gawd
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
650
I just got a 2007FP (S-IPS) and overall it's one heck of a monitor but there's 1 flaw that's preventing it from being on par with a CRT for gaming performance.

If I run the LCD at 1600x1200 (native res) and run a game at a fixed aspect ratio (640x480) there is no lag at all. The picture looks microscopic (black bars), but it's as smooth as my CRT running at 120hz.

If I downscale my resolution to 800x600 and run the game at 640x480 it actually looks pretty reasonable. The problem is there's a small amount of "chop" associated with the image being displayed.

The only game I play is very chop sensitive. There's about a 600 width bar ranging from 0% up to 100%. My job in the game is to hit a specific location on that bar (a moving rectangle scales the bar), and then hit a small area when that rectangle makes it way back.

It's very easy to tell when this bar is smooth or chopping.

Since the monitor seems to be able to display the game with no chop (native res + fixed aspect ratio) maybe there's some setting I overlooked to get it working in its non-native resolution?

Btw setting the display at 75hz (nvidia's cpanel) when it's running at 800x600 was the worst choice imaginable. The chop was amplified so much that it was silly.
 
have the video card do the scaling to 1600x1200 instead of the panel?
I think theres a setting for this in the nvidia control panel somewhere, but im not sure what its called.
 
Yep, I tried this. This actually does help a fair bit. It's as smooth as you can ask for in an LCD (and really damn close to a CRT's performance -- in this game at least) but there's a pretty bad downside.

The image itself is sort of blurry even when it's not moving. It's almost like it's trying to do some fake AA (btw I have all AA/AF/triple buffering/etc turned off). I'm using the 169.XXs for XP SP2.
 
Back
Top