• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

am i in bad trouble?

i know you can bend them back... maybe do some research on google about it.

you can rma it and say they came like that :/
 
As far as I know, "You break it, you bought it."

use a mechanical pencil to gently bend the pins back into place and you should be GTG.

Oh, and you had better change your thread title before a mod breaks a foot off in your arse. Implied profanity in thread titles will get you bitch slapped, smothered in chocolate and fed to Star Jones.

5...4...3...2...1...
 
i tried to take a picture of it but its too small
there's like 3 pins shaped like an S... :mad:
 
Ooooooooooo

ZIF = ZERO INSERTION FORCE

You can try calling Newegg, but no guarentees. They did their part, they shipped and delivered a working proc to your doorstep.

I'm guessing you tried to put the chip in wrong and you bent 3 pins in one of the corners. After calling newegg to plead your case, very gently try to straighten the bent pins by squeezing them with needle nose plyers. DON'T PULL! Just squeeze gently. You may be able to get them straight enough that they will go in.

Good luck and sorry about your chip
 
what happens if you were to snap a pin off by accident? (hasn't happened to me, just curious)

does the processor need every pin to run? What would it do if you were missing a pin?
 
matstars said:
what do i say?

well if your going to lie and say it came like that... then do so and dont abuse newegg again... but be ready to support your lie

if your pleading for a new one because you bent it, just explain that you by accidentally bent a few of the pins due to your lack of knowledge and if Newegg would be so generous as to send you a new one you would have everything professionally installed once you get it...
 
How else are you going to learn...

Next time you go to put a CPU on a board, I'll bet you tripple check the pin alignment before grabbing your hammer to make it fit.

Next installment:
"Thermal paste? What is that for?"
or
"I thought that silvery stuff was touch up paint for my case!"
or
"I thought it would work double gooder if I used the thermal pad and the thermal paste!"
 
I've got a friend that did the thermal pad + paste thing. And he used the last of my arctic silver 5 to boot. :mad:
 
I've never done it, but I've received second hand CPU's with bent pins and all have worked fine once I bent them straight. For the ones that are squiggly you can sometimes use really thin needle nose pliers to just clamp em straight. And for whoever asked, if the break off then the best use you'll get out of that processor would be attaching it to a shiny necklace.
 
blackrino9 said:
ZIF = ZERO INSERTION FORCE

:D That's what I was thinking as I read it.

We should remember this thread so we can point to it next time someone starts bitching about Newegg and their service.
 
i'll settle with paying the 100-200 bucks and getting it installed... one less bottle of dom perignon for that week... :D
 
matstars - I'm the guy that changed your thread title. Per the rules, swearing in thread titles is forbidden. I've been told that applies to "implied" swearing as well; so acronyms, clever mispellings, etc. are not allowed.

/end < threadcrap >

Good luck with the pins - B.B.S.
 
...I thought someone would have mentioned Kyle's favorite trick - use the barrel of a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil. Works like the bomb on Intel CPU's (not that I've ever needed to do such a thing... :rolleyes: ) I can't imagine the pin diameter on the AMD's are significantly different, but that's a guess.... :D

Cheers - B.B.S.
 
It still amazes me that when people fuck up their hardware they send it back to where they got it from and blame it on them (in the form of a blatent lie). pathetic, just pathetic.... :mad:
 
BlindedByScience said:
...I thought someone would have mentioned Kyle's favorite trick - use the barrel of a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil. Works like the bomb on Intel CPU's (not that I've ever needed to do such a thing... :rolleyes: ) I can't imagine the pin diameter on the AMD's are significantly different, but that's a guess.... :D

Cheers - B.B.S.
hrmm..... i dont really get it, but if it works, it works

if a .5mm one doesnt work try a .7

i would just use needle nose pliers
 
BlindedByScience said:
matstars - I'm the guy that changed your thread title. Per the rules, swearing in thread titles is forbidden. I've been told that applies to "implied" swearing as well; so acronyms, clever mispellings, etc. are not allowed.

Just out of curiosity, is #*&$^*^%*! ok? ie- Q-Bert swearing? For you young-uns, it's an old Atari game. Q-Bert says something like that when you die. I assume it represents some sort of obscenity.
 
blackrino9 said:
Use a mechanical pencil to gently bend the pins back into place and you should be GTG.

4th Post


blackrino9 said:
...very gently try to straighten the bent pins by squeezing them with needle nose plyers. DON'T PULL! Just squeeze gently. You may be able to get them straight enough that they will go in.

6th post
 
BlindedByScience said:
...I thought someone would have mentioned Kyle's favorite trick - use the barrel of a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil. Works like the bomb on Intel CPU's (not that I've ever needed to do such a thing... :rolleyes: ) I can't imagine the pin diameter on the AMD's are significantly different, but that's a guess.... :D

Cheers - B.B.S.
i was thinking of the same trick... but you got here before me :p

i bent like half the pins on my p4 2Ghz when took off the heatsink that plucked the locked processor right out of its ZIF socket since the thermal pad kinda melted and glued it together and i didnt realize the processor was stuck to the heatsink and i thought it was just the stock hsf retention clips and pluck!.. bent most of the pins... at that time i didnt think of a 0.5mm mechanical pencil barrel so i just whipped out my trusty switchblade and bend it all back, said a quick prayer, and booted it
and it worked!!... thanks to my prayer and 1337 knife skills
 
I'm afraid your prayer had nothing to do with it. God prefers Athlon64's (FX to be specific).
 
OldPueblo said:
I'm afraid your prayer had nothing to do with it. God prefers Athlon64's (FX to be specific).
uhoh., u mentioned "GOD"... a flamewars about to start..lol, always the same when religions are brought up
 
Back
Top