• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Am I disillusional?

86 5.0L

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
7,129
Lately the trend has been shifting to dual slot video cards with massive coolers, am I disillusion that I want the single slot GPUs? The best single slot card I've been able to find is the Galaxy GeForce GTX 260+ Razor. So is it a hopeless cause to expect any new single slot cards?
 
You can get singleslot 260/280/285/295 4870x2/5870 if you have watercooling
 
haha I knew somebody was going to say that. Im talking factory, I did see that 600 dollar evga one
 
I'm waiting for some single slot cards as well, mainly the 5770. It's thermal envelope is plenty low enough for a single slot solution and I don't care about not having a display port. I need it for a shuttle I build for my cousin, currently running a 9800GT but it's starting to struggle with newer games at 19x12. Being a shuttle, he's got limited space and power. The 5770 would be a PERFECT candidate... If it only used one slot.
 
I don't think it's a priority for manufacturers. Only a small handful of people need more than a few open slots in most desktop environments these days with most motherboards including all the features that used to require expansion cards. Even very small form factor cases generally will accept dual slot cards, and with more people using on-board sound it has become less of an issue.

Also, dual slot air coolers will always be quieter and more efficient than anything you can cram into a single slot setup, so there's that too.
 
I could have sworn I saw some like a 5770 single slot somewhere. but most people like quieter dual slot coolers.
 
My case insulates the noise well but I guess Im going to have to accept the future as dual-slotted :(
 
More power and features produces more heat, more cooling, which all takes more space.

There are single slot cards around they're just med/low end parts, the choice is yours.
 
More power and features produces more heat, more cooling, which all takes more space.

There are single slot cards around they're just med/low end parts, the choice is yours.

However the good news is that midrange cards do great these days. There really isn't a need for high end cards. Don't get me wrong, I personally like having a high end card because I'm a performance junkie, but you can get great gaming performance with a midrange card.

So, you can expect a steady stream of ever increasingly powerful single slot cards. What you cannot have is the highest end cards in air cooled single slot.
 
More power and features produces more heat, more cooling, which all takes more space.

There are single slot cards around they're just med/low end parts, the choice is yours.

Except that cards like the 5770 use as much or less power than cards like the 8800GT which was single slot.
 
You can risk it and try and find/mod/make a single slot heatsink for a 5850 and underclock if needed?
 
I don't think i'd try it with a 5850, plus, you have the issue that the DVI ports are stacked
 
Back
Top