Am I deaf? XFi Xtreme Music

Kasher_Khan

Limp Gawd
So I had a creative audigy 2 series card for four years before I moved to the Xfi Xtreme music for my new build. Despite all the great reviews I can barely tell the difference between that and my origional card which I think was awesome. The crystalizer which is the main feature of these new cards to me sounds like it just increases the vol. a bit and tightens the base up a bit. Mind you I am no audiophile. Many reviews have mentioned that the crystalizer is a love or hate thing. I don't hate it... but didn't really see what the hype was about. The 1-3 frames I am going to get in a game from using this card don't matter to me. Above all it seems the EAX affects I loved so much with the origional have fewer preset modes.

So my question is... is this card worth keeping? I want to return it but I also want to make sure I am not missing out on something in the settings that makes it sound great but just needs to be enabled. Thoughts?

CPU: AMD Opteron 148 (939) 1MB L2 Cache CABYE540
MoBo: DFI Lanparty Ultra-D NForce4
CASE: Antec P180 Silent Case
HSF: Sycthe Ninja Scnj-1000 heatpipe cooler (120m fan)
RAM: GSKILL 2GB(2X1) PC4000 (3,4,4,8)
Gfx: Evga Geforece 7800GT Oced(470/1100) P2N517
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 74GB (10000rpm) SATA150
DVD: Sony DVD+/-RW 16X DRU800A
PCI: Creative XFi Xtreme Music Sound Card
PSU: Antec NeoHE 500 watt (modular)
SPKR: Klipsch Promdeia 4.1 THX

If you ever get a better speaker setup/headphones you will most definatly notice it. The big thing with X-Fi is not so much it's DAC's or OP-Amps, or not even Crystalizer, it's the resampler engine. It's far far superior then the Audigy-2. It's more noticeable for headphone people and others with high end setups (Studio Monitor quality speakers, not Multimedia). I also own Klispch Promedia 5.1's. And I thought the differnce was noticeable. I'd audition it for a few more days and if your really not satisfied with it then take it back, afterall your opinion is the only one that matters.

Regards,
Mike

Ditto with the Promedia 5.1s here.

The difference *is* audible, but only just - these even aren't very high end speakers.

For anything less than these...well...hard to say.

For headphones, though - OMG. *UNBELIEVABLE*

Do yourself a favor, and dig through the yellow pages to find a local vendor that sells Sennheiser headphones. (Their 'dealer locator' does a pretty good job, actually) Use a decent set from them with an X-Fi and be amazed!

Yeah it does pretty damn good with phones, but I've got nothing to compare it too, next week im getting a Non-oversampling dac to pair with it and i'll report back. Dialogue II

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm using it with my Acoustic Research HC6 system and it really opens up the soundstage and tightens the low end compared to my previous SB Live!. Maybe your speakers aren't up to snuff, or maybe your source isn't up to snuff (mp3 128 anyone?), but it does make a difference.

I'm also boosting my audio budget to 3k, so hopefully I'll be able to enjoy my X-fi EP to it's fullest when I get it.

dderidex said:
For headphones, though - OMG. *UNBELIEVABLE*

Do yourself a favor, and dig through the yellow pages to find a local vendor that sells Sennheiser headphones. (Their 'dealer locator' does a pretty good job, actually) Use a decent set from them with an X-Fi and be amazed!

Sennheiser! Now thats a name I have been hearing more and more these days. I looked this stuff up on new egg and everyone seems to be very satisfied. But there are so many kinds that I am a bit over whelmed honestly. Can any one recommend a particular model around a $100 that would do this sound card justice. Recently I have found my self to be using my head phones a lot more than I used to (intolerant roomates that have to go to work at 8:00am) I heard the the Xfi generates good surround sound with just a pair of headphones. Also since most of the sennheisers are big monsters... I was wondering how comfortable are they are 30mins. My $20 pair of koss headphones start to fry my ears after that long!

Thanx for the replies thus far!

I'm listing only Sennheiser as that is what he is interested in. I will throw in a Beyer or AKG in there as well.

If you really just want to buy from NewEgg, here are a couple of good pairs in your price range:
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro - $99.99
Sennheiser HD 485 - $79.99

I bought a pair of HD 595s from Comp-U-Plus, the prices are dramatically lower than on Newegg:
Sennheiser HD 555 - $97.00
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro - $69.35

You can also purchase from here and read their mini-reviews on Headphone:
Sennheiser HD 497 - 59.99
Grado SR 60 - $69.00
Grado SR 80 - $95.00
Beyerdynamic DT 231 - $59.00
AKG K 26 P - 44.95
Koss Porta Pro - $49.95

From B&H Photo and Video you can get these:
AKG K 240 S - $99.95

eBay:
Speed Link Medusa 5.1 Surround Sound - $103

In my honest opinion your best bet would be with the Grado SR 80s, the HD 555s, or the AKG K 240 S. If those are too close to $100 for you, then anyting else I listed from Beyerdynamic, Grado, AKG or Sennheiser will be a very fine choice for the <$100 range.

What is your budget exactly? Are you trying to spend $100 maximum or can you stretch that a little further? Say up to $125 or $150? If you can get to $125 I'll recommend the Sennheiser HD 580 for $124.95.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Possobly, and i mean **POSSIBLY** might be able to get a pair of HD 595's on ebay from the right seller for around 150. (Got mine for 160 shipped). Really good headphones if you can afford it....555's are supposed to be pretty decent tho.

I have the HD 595s as well, but it's an extreme hassle and rarity to find them for cheap. I found mine for $164, but the catch was the cheapest shipping was $13.95, still made it cheaper than anywhere else other than searching eBay for hours.

A few on ebay for around $170 shipped. Guy i got mine from has one for $155 with $15 2-3 day shipping....Saw a pair of 150's for $35 also...

Chastity said:
Those HD580s will need an amp, just to add to his costs.
I know it will. Although when people upgrade from crap to something liek the HD 580s, I think an amp is really only necessary to the more picky.

as far as amp's go, you don't miss what you never had. I could never listen to my 880's unamped now, they just sound like harsh ugly shit. hehe You can normally get 595's new for like 150$ btw. But since it's christmas they have hiked up the prices abit, can still find em for 162$ though.

@Kasher_Khan
if you are gaming then surround over headphones is sufficient reason to keep X-Fi.

If you want to suggest hi-fi cans, then we can do that, but the man requested we keep it around $100. I agree with you on the AT ATH-A900's. Very nice headphones for gaming. He might also want to look at the HD 600 or HD 650, Beyerdynamic DT 770 or DT 880's. There are so many options out there for so many different tastes audibly and visually. I would have went with the A900s had I not like the look of the HD 595s better, lol. Who knows, I might like the sound of the 595s better anyways.

If you want to broaden your budget, I would go for those A900s though. I hear nothing but fantastic comments and reviews on them.

Sorry guys but the budget is $100 max. I am already $500 overboard with this new build. I know there is always going to be room for a little more price for that slightly better performance but a man's gotta eat! lolz... Raman don't taste that good after your millionth pack of isntant soup! lolz

I really appericiate the advice though. Currently considering some of the options you guys have suggested... The one question that I still am concerned about is the comfort of some of these over the ear head sets... How do those feel?

I've got one feeding a carver tfm55x(400rmsperchannel)to a set of seriesIV bose 901's and a svs ultra2 sub for lows,have to agree it does a much better job than the A2 is this set-up

Just curious, what settings do you guys have the X-Fi XtremeMusic set at when using headphones?

I only ask because a friend of mine has this sound card and is having trouble noticing the difference as well. He is coming from an Audigy Gamer, and is using a fairly high-end model of Bose headphones. Now I know most people here hate Bose, and I'm not here to defend them, but I know they aren't absolute crap either.

The one thing my friend notices, is that he can hear things much farther away than he used to. For example, in BF2, he and I can stand at opposite ends of the carrier and hear gunshots...something he couldn't do with his Audigy Gamer. However, he says the positional audio isn't as great (when flying, for instance) as it sometimes sounds like guys are behind him when they're actually in front of him.

So, sorry for the longer post, and I don't mean to hijack the thread. Just wondering what settings you guys use...

I.E. Do you use CMSS-3D, and if so what is it set at, how about the 24-Bit Crystalizer, etc...? Thanks!

For gaming? Headphone mode.

Actually, there is an option in the speaker configuration for the X-Fi to 'automatically enabled headphone settings' and 'automatically mute speakers'. Check both of these, and it changes modes automatically.

Errr...well, that's with an X-Fi Platinum, anyway. Dunno how the other models work out.

cmss 3d does work with headphones of decent quality and size. the at500 is the best bet or for less the sennheiser pc160 headset.

Kasher_Khan said:
Sorry guys but the budget is $100 max. I am already $500 overboard with this new build. I know there is always going to be room for a little more price for that slightly better performance but a man's gotta eat! lolz... Raman don't taste that good after your millionth pack of isntant soup! lolz

I really appericiate the advice though. Currently considering some of the options you guys have suggested... The one question that I still am concerned about is the comfort of some of these over the ear head sets... How do those feel?

Did you check out the list I made earlier up in the thread? I think you would find any of those to work very well for you.

I had an audigy 2 for a long time and now when I built my lastest rig (in sig) I bought a Xi-Fi Platnium. I only got it because it was new, I notice no difference really. But I do listen to alot of music on my box, so I feel that it was worth while, even tho i notice nothing.

I only have experience with HD280's, but I find them very comfortable for extended use (i.e., several hours at a time). The headband adjusts very readily, and the cans are comfortable. For the price, especially, I don't think you can get much better. I heartily reccomend the HD280's.

Kasher_Khan said:

Anything from Sennheiser that I listed is very comfortable. The Beyerdynamics are comfy as are the AKG and Koss. I heard the Medusa's are quite comfy as well. The Grado's are the least comfy of them all. I really think you should go for the HD 555, HD 280 or HD 497 or HD 485. Read up on those at the http://www.headphones.com and find out which one will fit your tastes the best. Although, sonicly, the 240 s is one of the best headphones from what I have listed, but it's not a reference user headphone. Bassy and really wouldn't be good ran off of a receiver.

those are grados! they have no soundstage! great for music but all you hear is right and left. there's no space there,

jeez man look get the friggin a500 or pc160 they are both able to produce a decent 3d feel and are good at music. just for gaming get the icemats or medusas but they suck for anything but games.

Since we're on the subject, how big of a difference in sound quality is it between my SB Live! 5.1 and the X-Fi? It's always seemed to be good enough for me for music and whatnot (sound is being piped via shielded cable to a ~1976 Sherwood S7200 amplifier connected to Bowers & Wilkins bi-wired S602 monitors, and it still sounds damned good), but I'm wondering if I just haven't been "awakened", so to speak.

cmss3d on my setup actually makes music listening sound worse i think. For gaming, cmss3d w/ Crystalizer off.

for music, it depends on bitrate of music i'm listening to. 128 mp3's sound like ass, so i put the crystalizer on, hit svm ON and turn cmss-3d off. makes the crappy quailty recordings down decent from unlistineable. I just leave those settings on in entertainment mode usually incase soemthign crappy quality comes up

I heard poor things about the PC line from Sennheiser, so I'm not going to suggest them. A500 would be nice, if they didn't exceed his budget. You're not helping the man out here. You're givnig him options that aren't feasible. The PC-160s I considered for myself, but almost everybody turned me away from them and said there are a lot better options out there in the price range.

Probably the best place to search about headphone reviews is head-fi.org. I think $100 is fine and a good starting budget for some high end headphones. The only problem is you have to pick well in that price bracket because there are headphones that cost that much, but aren't worth it sonically speaking.

I don't know about you, but bose is only marginally better than a lot of the budget equipment you hear. The improvement is that they increased the bass.....which any hi fidelity stereo system can do anyways. I came away with a headache after watching a movie at someone's house with some entry level bose home theater package. The stupid subwoofer would not stop rumbling. The sub's bass was real sloppy and lacked any punch.

Rix2357 said:
Probably the best place to search about headphone reviews is head-fi.org. I think $100 is fine and a good starting budget for some high end headphones. The only problem is you have to pick well in that price bracket because there are headphones that cost that much, but aren't worth it sonically speaking.

I don't know about you, but bose is only marginally better than a lot of the budget equipment you hear. The improvement is that they increased the bass.....which any hi fidelity stereo system can do anyways. I came away with a headache after watching a movie at someone's house with some entry level bose home theater package. The stupid subwoofer would not stop rumbling. The sub's bass was real sloppy and lacked any punch.

Yes, I agree. Check out the list I made for him up at the top. I recommended a review site, but I wouldn't recommend it for pricing, as they tend to jack up their prices.

Koss KSC-75, Sennheiser 201, PX100, Grado sr60, allesandro's, all good. I'd avoid 497, they are extremly uncomfortable and not that great sonically, bested by even the KSC75 imo.

A value rating of 5 out of 5 doesn't mean much. If the ibuds were free to anyone who wanted one (I mean anyone, not ipod purchasers as the price of the headphones is included with the mp3 player) that would get a value of 5 out of 5. However, I doubt it would even be in the same league as some of the headphones mentioned abovee. ;)

Back