Am I crazy or stupid(water cooling concept)

BioInclined

Limp Gawd
So in my utter boredom after taking apart an old Dell 4600, i thought about what to do with the copper heat-sink. Attach it to my 6950 heat-sink for excessive amount of material weighing on it. Try to attach it to the board somewhere. or save for the sake of saving it.
I though why don't people incorporate them in a crazy water cooling system? My random concept it, putting the block(copper of course) into an acrylic or suitable "box" with the required proper sized barbs/fitting for the system.
Bad paint image to follow....
This is the heat-sink itself. It's not very large, about 3"x2"x 2.5"(high)
This has a lot of "hiccups" too. Sealing the heat-sink, ensuring it's all copper, making sure the heat-sink reservoir moves water fast enough so it isn't just heating the water to sit in one place.
I'm not looking to get flamed, simply expanding a though to people who know A LOT more.
dellheatsink.jpg

dellhsdrawn.jpg

In a way, that is how water blocks work. They do have a fin array set up (or channels) to increase the contact surface area. However they do not use a huge mass of copper. The idea is to quickly transfer heat to the water, not to warm up a block of copper.

Something large like that just increases the thermal resistance, something you do not want.

Some of the best water block designs use extremely thin copper baseplates.

So ultimately, that Dell heatsink would make a terrible waterblock.

Last edited:
Back