• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Am I an idiot?

Joined
Mar 4, 2006
Messages
25
Hi everyone, this is my first post here on the [H] forum so I'll start off by saying I bought the 2405fpw, but now I'm beginning to regret it. The problem is my computer alone is nothing near impressive and considering the fact that I purchased it before my interests in computers really piqued, everything in it is definately low end.

Heres the specs:

P4 2.4Ghz 533Mhz FSB
Unknown motherboard with AGP
1 gig (2x512MB off brand sticks)
Radeon 9250 Visiontek Xtasy AGP 128MB Graphics Card
1 60GB & 1 80GB hard drive

Now Im wondering would you have done the same in my position? On one end I could of built a reasonable computer (3700 Sandy, DFI lanparty, Forton 600Watt powersupply, 2 Gig G.Skill ram) but then I'd be lacking the one thing I'd really need - a good graphics card, but at the same time I could finally get into OCing (something I've been wanting to do forever) and wait to but the new 2407 and a decent graphics card. On the other hand, I could of done what I just did; buy the 2405fpw and wait for the next gen hardware to come out. Now my idea was to just wait and play games 1:1 with a real low res on the 2405, and use the native res for web browsing and the like, while I wait till I have some more money to buy a new computer to use the 2405 to its full potential while playing games.

To make things even worse I've got the issue of HDCP bugging me. I'm not too worried about it as I figure I'll just buy the 2407 if it becomes an issue with vista, but I doubt it will be for the time being...

As you can see Im at a huge dillema. Do you think I made the right decision? If so, why?
 
Ok, I have good and bad news.

First, monitors are rarely replaced with every computer you buy or build. Hell, I've got an OLD viewsonic 19" that is nearly 10 years old and has seen some 10 computers attached to it!

Don't worry about your purchased based on that.

However, the HDCP thing IS A BIG DEAL. Microsoft bowed to the entertainment industry, and without HDCP showing full resolution HD in Vista will not be possible. At least that's the way the story goes.

I fully blame Microsoft for this cowering instead of standing up for it's users. There is NO government regulation requiring HDCP as I understand it.

This is one of the reasons I chose the Gateway 21" instead.

=Larry
 
TechLarry said:
However, the HDCP thing IS A BIG DEAL. Microsoft bowed to the entertainment industry, and without HDCP showing full resolution HD in Vista will not be possible. At least that's the way the story goes.

There have been quite a few debates concerning this, but let me just throw this one out: if Microsoft didn't "bow" to the entertainment industry, there would be NO HDCP-enabled content in Vista, no matter what your hardware is. At least MS is allowing people who will eventually have the right hardware to watch HDCP content.
 
Well the HDCP isn't too big of an issue for me at the moment seeing as by the time Vista is out I'll have enough to buy the 2407wfp and the only thing I was wondering is if I were to run a 2407wfp with my current 2405 that I've ordered, would I be able to play HDCP material on the 2407 while still running my 2405? I want dual screens when the time comes, and I figured it would be possible.... Am I wrong? Am I going to need to buy two 2407wfps if I want dual screen on Vista?

Besides that, do you think I made the right move jumping on the deal with the 2405 and deciding to wait out on a new computer? I've really never played games; mainly because I dont have the ability to with my current system, but I figured I could still play the occasional game on the 2405 with 1:1 and at a low enough resolution my computer could handle...

Should I have gotten a new computer instead, and played games on my crappy 17" CRT? Choices, choices, choices....
 
Listen the monitor is a beauty so don't regret the purchase. You are looking at this completely wrong. When we upgrade our pc we do it sometimes slowly sometimes long. But you have to begin somewhere. About the hdcp crap. Don't waste your time about it. Believe you me that there will be ways around that thing and if not than you will just have to get yourself a hdcp compliant lcd. But the upgrade from a 17 inch to a 24 is much needed so i wouldnt worry.
 
I know the monitor is great and a huge step from my current monitor, but Im wondering if It's really a smart thing to have bought it now while knowing that I'll only be able to use it's full 1900x1200 potential while browsing the net? It sucks not having a computer to have some overclocking and high res gaming fun on...
 
Don't you have the option of returning it anyway?

But anyway, if I'm guessing correctly you probably bought it for less than 750$ and that's a great deal. I'd say enjoy your moniter! It's a beauty. Vista isn't out yet, and when it does do you seriously plan on upgrading that asap? Besides most hardware for your computer devalues very quickly, however your moniter will not depreciate as quickly, so you made a good investment to me. If you were to resell your moniter now, I think you'd get more than what you bought it for if you got in on that deal.
 
Hmmm.... I guess that's one way to look at it, except there is NO LAW requiring HDCP.

-Larry

PWMK2 said:
There have been quite a few debates concerning this, but let me just throw this one out: if Microsoft didn't "bow" to the entertainment industry, there would be NO HDCP-enabled content in Vista, no matter what your hardware is. At least MS is allowing people who will eventually have the right hardware to watch HDCP content.
 
TechLarry said:
Hmmm.... I guess that's one way to look at it, except there is NO LAW requiring HDCP.

-Larry

Right, but it is to be mandated by many movie studios and endorsed by the MPAA. So while some DVD studios won't support it, major motion pictures almost certainly will.
 
Just got my 2405FPW in today, and the only thing I can say is...

WOW!

24" of beautiful LCD screen real estate is something I don't know how I've previously dealt without...

Just one problem...

Turns out my videocard (Radeon 9250 AGP) doesnt support 1920x1200 on 16:9 monitors!

Besides the fact that I'm going to need to fork some more money into my again AGP system, I dont know how I've dealt without this thing before. It's definately the best purchase I've ever made.

Just wondering though, anyone know of anywhere I can buy a decent graphics card from for dirt cheap? I want something that can play the majority of games at 1280x1020 or thereabouts with decent settings. I don't want something great, just something to tide me over for the ~6 months.
 
Grab a 7800 gs, those are agp.
But you'll probably have to upgrade your power supply too to drive it. Good luck.
 
The 7800GS is far from my expected price budget, as I was thinking more along the lines of ~$150. 6800GS? 6600? Whats something that could get me buy on a playable (keep in mind I have the 2405) resolution. I can keep it 1:1, I just want something that can easily handle 1280x1024 or thereabouts at a playable framerate...

Any ideas?
 
i got my 2405 one day before you, and i feel the same way, wow. it's huge.

my vanilla 6600 runs HL2 at 1920x1200 just fine, wihout any noticeable hiccups.

doesnt support 1920x1200 on 16:9 monitors!
actually, the monitor is 16:10 :)
 
This is by far the greatest purchase I've ever made, but I'm still noticing a few little quirky things as time goes on; namely, I've noticed that I can drag a window nearly all the way off the left side, and even some to the right side if it isn't maximized to fill the whole screen. If it's a window that I've maximized I can't drag it anywhere... Is there a driver setting I can change to stop me from being able to do this? I want it so I can only drag a window off as far as I can see. Right now It's going way past the visible portion of the screen...

What should I do?!?!?!
 
Dude your right man. I had to try it and see for myself. You can drag the window all the way past the border. Sheesh and i had this monitor for quite some time now. Doesnt bother me but sure if there is a fix please let us know people. By the way i am using the latest drivers so that doesnt do it.
 
You mean there isnt a fix?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh well a few more problems are still showing their faces as time passes on...

First, I've been noticing something very weird in that if I set my resolution to 1920x1200 via the desktop it works (no clue on why it wouldn't work before), and If I set it to 1920x1080 it works and it add the black bars. Once I change my resolution via the ATI taskbar icon it stretches it to fill the screen... How do I fix this?!?!

Lastly, where do I go to rotate my screen? I've been trying to find the option, but I'm having no luck at all.

EDIT: Did a little bit more researching into the matter, and it seems that both resolutions are the same thing ( as I figured) but If I set my resolution to 1920x1080 Ill get black bars, but if I move it to something lower it stretches to fill the screen. I've got no clue why it's stretching one resolution while it won't do it for the other. Any ideas?
 
Ok for your first problem. The third bottom from your power bottom on the lcd is your menu bottom scroll down til you get IMAGE SETTINGS than scroll down till you get SCALING than highlight FILL. this will allow you to fill the whole screen and when you change resolutions it will adjust accordingly. Now your ati should have a setting that allows you to rotate 45 degree. I just tried it on my nvidia and it works so im sure ati has it too.
 
yup did it again on several resolutions including the native 1920-1200 and it works by filling in the whole desktop
 
I can get to the Image Settings menu just fine, the problem is that none of the options (fill, aspect, etc.) are usable. They're there, but they aren't selectable...

I've been noticing that the screen stays black, leaving me to restart my computer after I change the resolution every once in a while. It's a reasonable rare occurance but it's still there.

Any other ideas? Thanks for all your help so far!
 
Ok now thats wacky. I assume your using dvi. And in dvi you should be able to select the image selector. Second. you can change resolution on the fly (i do it all the time) and i have never had to restart my computer. Do you think it could be a graphics card issue? Do you have another pc you can test it on? Perhaps a laptop.

And your quite welcome. The wrost thing is when you get a new toy and it doesnt work as you hoped. Dont give up on the monitor though. i have this one and bought 2 2005s and out of these 2005 only one had a dead pixel and light leakage and i returned it without any problems.
 
Back
Top