Well my new Thermalright ALX-800 has finally arrived after way too many shipping problems. It's pretty much as advertised. The only thing that was a big surprising was that on the tops of some of the fins there appear to be this small little burn marks. No big deal though. The bottom was very smooth and reflective, which was good enough for me.
Right now I've mounted it with the thermal grease it came with, because I was too anxious to wait for my friend to bring me some AS5 (coming next weekend), and it's working out pretty good. Using the Delta fan that came with the ALX I noticed a drop of about 12-15 degrees (relative to the stock HSF), but I've since switched to a quieter fan and it's running about 7-10 degrees cooler. I've also upped the VCore, though, so the actual improvement is probably somewhat higher.
I haven't managed to get my system to run stable any higher than 2222MHz yet, though. I might have to give it more juice, but I had the VCore up to about 1.75V (monitoring software reads it as 1.7V though, not sure which to trust) and I'm not sure I want to go too much higher.
Anyway, just wanted to share my good news
Right now I've mounted it with the thermal grease it came with, because I was too anxious to wait for my friend to bring me some AS5 (coming next weekend), and it's working out pretty good. Using the Delta fan that came with the ALX I noticed a drop of about 12-15 degrees (relative to the stock HSF), but I've since switched to a quieter fan and it's running about 7-10 degrees cooler. I've also upped the VCore, though, so the actual improvement is probably somewhat higher.
I haven't managed to get my system to run stable any higher than 2222MHz yet, though. I might have to give it more juice, but I had the VCore up to about 1.75V (monitoring software reads it as 1.7V though, not sure which to trust) and I'm not sure I want to go too much higher.
Anyway, just wanted to share my good news