always network activity

twelveparsex

[H]F Junkie
ever since i've been in AK and have had cable internet service up here i've always noticed with DU meter there is always network activity, unless i'm connected to the internet via a router. DU meter always shows arround 70kbps downloading unless i disconnect my cable modem, is this normal?

No that's not normal. Unless the network you're connecting to shares a common broadcast domain with other customers, and you might be seeing their broadcast traffic. The router would separate the broadcast domains such that your router blocks the excess traffic.

my desktop just got hosed with SpyWare - Noticed about a week ago constant network in/out activity even when I would disconnect my internet connection - check your running processes and search them through google to see if they are spyware

MrkXCeL said:
my desktop just got hosed with SpyWare - Noticed about a week ago constant network in/out activity even when I would disconnect my internet connection - check your running processes and search them through google to see if they are spyware
nope happens right after i reformat too

Run TCPView from sysinternals and look for connected endpoints to see what kind of traffic and what executables are involved.

I think it is just broadcasts from your WAN network. With the router up it blocks those for you so that you don't see them. If you monitor your WAN interface of the router you will notice constant activity but on your LAN side there will be none. It's just the nature of the game.

Some of that activity is going to be virii, trojans, people port scanning, and other nasty stuff. I've use cable for 6 years now, and it's been steadily increasing over time. I'd highly recommend not connecting a computer directly to the modem, as thats just waiting for someone/something to get in.

tdg said:
Some of that activity is going to be virii, trojans, people port scanning, and other nasty stuff. I've use cable for 6 years now, and it's been steadily increasing over time. I'd highly recommend not connecting a computer directly to the modem, as thats just waiting for someone/something to get in.
well i really have no use for a router since i just have one computer right now

I'm guessing its a simple home dlink/linksys router/switch with NAT abilities. If so use it b/c that acts like a hardware firewall and will protect you from the outside better than if you just use windows firewall/ZA alone.

Back