Always check trim is enabled on aftermarket SSD drives!

nry

Limp Gawd
6P4AA2E.png

Just checking up on my SSD today and was a little shocked it was this bad! When I first installed Yosemite I enabled trim and double checked it was enabled but another update must have disabled it again.

Just a heads up to others out there with aftermarket SSDs to check it's enabled :)

In the Mac world it's fairly common knowledge that TRIM is disabled in OS X on third-party SSDs.

It's also known that Yosemite has kext signing that effectively breaks third-party TRIM enablers. The workaround is to disable kext signing, which, coming from the Windows world, I'm not crazy about.

Something is wrong with that drive if the info is correct. Shows 9.2tb written, so roughly you've written to each cell 40 times, they have roughly 3000 write cycles before they fail. There shouldn't been so much wear on the drive even without trim. Seems to me like garbage collection may be messed up in some way on your drive, does it have the latest firmware? Also possible the tool isn't displaying correct info.

Last edited:
In the Mac world it's fairly common knowledge that TRIM is disabled in OS X on third-party SSDs.

It's also known that Yosemite has kext signing that effectively breaks third-party TRIM enablers. The workaround is to disable kext signing, which, coming from the Windows world, I'm not crazy about.

I disabled the kext signing and trim was enabled after reboots when I first installed Yosemite, not too sure at which point it was disabled again.

Something is wrong with that drive if the info is correct. Shows 9.2tb written, so roughly you've written to each cell 40 times, they have roughly 3000 write cycles before they fail. There shouldn't been so much wear on the drive even without trim. Seems to me like garbage collection may be messed up in some way on your drive, does it have the latest firmware? Also possible the tool isn't displaying correct info.

Without tearing my iMac apart I can't connect the drive to another box to run the Magician software. All I know is performance maxes out around 100MB/s and the random access seems to be severely reduced.

I am on the previous firmware (current is DXM06B0Q) and haven't had chance to attempt updating it as I don't want to risk having to reinstall everything on the machine all over again just yet if the drive ends up being wiped.

What software is this so I can check my ssd in my 17" Macbook? I heard that Yosemite disabled trim for 3rd party, why Apple does this is beyond me.

I heard that Yosemite disabled trim for 3rd party, why Apple does this is beyond me.
Only the blessed Apple drives are approved by the Apple overlords. Please pay homage and make appropriate sacrifice to the priests of Steve so that you can benefit from the blessings of TRIM.

What software is this so I can check my ssd in my 17" Macbook? I heard that Yosemite disabled trim for 3rd party, why Apple does this is beyond me.

You can check the TRIM support in System Information under SATA/SATA Express. If you put the SSD in yourself, TRIM will be disabled.

As for why they did this, who knows.. maybe they didn't want to do a lot of testing with older Macs and TRIM or something. It does seem kind of random they did this.

Only the blessed Apple drives are approved by the Apple overlords. Please pay homage and make appropriate sacrifice to the priests of Steve so that you can benefit from the blessings of TRIM.

As for why they did this, who knows.. maybe they didn't want to do a lot of testing with older Macs and TRIM or something. It does seem kind of random they did this.

The above pretty much sums it up. Apple only wants you to use their stuff. I had a usb to ethernet adapter that worked fine and then one update just stopped working (yet still works fine if you pass it through to parallels, the mac sees its there when you plug it in, just doesn't let you use it), after googling it turns out Apple made all the 3rd party ones of this chipset stop working unless you buy the official apple usb to ethernet adapter (which uses the same chipset).

It's slightly annoying they disable this as I have the LaCie external thunderbolt SSD which trim is also disabled on!

In June 2015 (after the previous posts in this thread), Apple added support for TRIM with third-party SSDs.

Regarding the title of this thread, how to check whether TRIM is actually working on your third-party SSD, Ars Technica has described in detail a somewhat complicated procedure that proves whether or not TRIM is working.

The complicated proof procedure is necessary because some third-party SSDs don't actually perform TRIM even if it's enabled and the OS or some software tells you it's enabled.

Back