Aluminum Macbook Unboxing & Discussion

I waaaaant....
If only the keyboard wasn't black it would be the most beautiful machine ever made....

Apple is about simple and smooth designs, but the addition to the black keyboard is anything but that. :p

I think they may have done it because of the backlighting of the keys. The while text on black keys with the halo's around each key looks pretty sexy.

Great shot but goddamn that glossy screen bums me out. I'll be staying with my current MBP for a while now (the current offering honestly isn't much of an upgrade over my Penryn MBP anyway).

Either way, congrats on the purchase.

Hurr's mine:
2964935397_52c36edbca_b.jpg

Nope, I'm thinking about it though... don't know why they didn't include one free.

hahahahahahaha

.....joking aside, I'm actually interested in one of these new Macbooks... not anytime in the NEAR future, but maybe sometime in Q1 of '09... I just keep hearing all these great things about Macbooks and OS X... I'm going to have to try my friends out for a bit to see if I can be converted from my PC Vista ways :rolleyes:

These new MB's are tempting. But so are the old refurbished MBP's I just love the look of the old MBP's.

i miss my ibook. if i could only put os x on my eee

You can. I have OS X on my MSI wind and other than the headphone jack (which can be substituted with a USB audio card) it works flawlessly.

If Apple put a docking port on that and sold a docking station, I'd sell all my stuff, buy that, and go Mac exclusive. Until then, I'm dual-booting Vista x64/Hackintosh, and juggling a laptop. Had really high hopes for the new Macbook. :(

Just bought one since I love the new look. However Apple FAILS when it comes to the touchpad in Windows. There is a right click in OSX because the button is touch sensitive now. You would think they'd make it work in Windows too. Nope. Come on Apple WTF. Right click in OSX but not in Windows?

Just bought one since I love the new look. However Apple FAILS when it comes to the touchpad in Windows. There is a right click in OSX because the button is touch sensitive now. You would think they'd make it work in Windows too. Nope. Come on Apple WTF. Right click in OSX but not in Windows?

Right click works in Windows. If you click while having two fingers (index and middle) on the touchpad, that's right click. At least that's how it works when I'm using Boot Camp on my prior-gen MBP, should work the same with the new one.

In windows, right-click is three fingers, not two.

Try that :)

That is not what I meant. I know that you can use 3 fingers with the new Aluminum Macbook. What I meant was that there is a physical right click in OSX. Since the button is part of the touchpad and therefore touch senstive, you can map the bottom right corner to the right click. So it is the same button but depending on where your finger is it will be either left or right click.

Now, that does NOT work in Windows. Yet. Hopefully soon. But to have that in OSX and not in Windows just does not make any sense.

Right click issues aside, this looks to be my replacement for my Toshiba A105 lappy. I like what I have read as far in regards to game performance. I'll probably use it for photo editing and WoW/Warcraft 3 and such. Heck, I bet I'd get over the black keyboard and glossy screen......which seems to be the issues that I would have with the machine. All in all, for the price plus the fact that Apple seems care more about their product than most other manufacturers any more, I'd say it is a no brainer for the cost.

Very tempting..
But a macbook with no firewire at all is just so hard for me..
I think Apple do this so people will buy MBP instead of MB. But the price is still expensive..
I think I'll wait the next gen.
Currently I still love my lastgen MBP <3

by the way, I want to ask, Is the new macbook hot or? I don't see any ventilation for the body,
except via keyboard hole

I don't understand why people are so up in arms about not having firewire on the new macbook, its not like the old macbook had firewire either, you'd think it'd be commonly accepted convention by now...

As for FW 800 ports only on the MBP... can't you just use a FW 400->FW 800 cable to connect to your old FW 400 devices? I have connected a segate freeagent desk (Mac edition) to my desktop PC's fw 400 port, even though the drive only has FW 800 ports... all I used was the included cable...

Yes it does lol, else why would everyone be talking about the new Macbook not having Firewire?

The old MacBook has Firewire 400. Go see for yourself.

Yeah, i just remembered i had my Macbook hooked up to my DVR through Firewire.

I was thinking of the Macbook Air.

The fact that it has an aluminum body, makes the Macbook so much better. I'm still using a first generation Macbook with the plastic body, and over time pieces of it start to come off. It's not that I treat my computer badly, but over time the plastic just starts to die.

I only feel it get slightly hot around the battery after using it for a while, feels very cool everywhere else. It's so quiet as well! Lovin it!

how much did you sell your old macbook for? I have a sep 2007 macbook with 2.16ghz 2gb ram and 250 gb hard drive. I was wondering how much i'd be able to sell it for. I really want the new macbook

Nice machine, that glossy screen and glare would kill me at my job, but at least I'll be able to know if someone was sneaking up on me.

Also, as a note. This is all being tested on Window XP Pro SP3 with all Windows & Bootcamp Updates installed.

I was actually very curious if performance wouldn't be optimized in windows...but seeing your test results and the other comments about general performance in windows (i.e. some degree of right-click ability) makes me happy that I could run the MB w bootcamp without having to sacrifice too much from the OSX/hardware synergy.

..more surprising is the performance of the 9400M.

gosh for $1300, and a really solid aluminum body--I basically tried to (unsuccessfully) break the screen in the store today by bending it--I'd be so willing to pay the extra $300 over the $1000 thinkpad SL500 I have...

The only issue I have with the new MB/MBP is the cheap-feeling black plastic cover over the LCD screen joint in the back--that's literally the only weak point in the entire machine (and the only one I'd be really worried about getting damage/cracks in down the road).

how much did you sell your old macbook for? I have a sep 2007 macbook with 2.16ghz 2gb ram and 250 gb hard drive. I was wondering how much i'd be able to sell it for. I really want the new macbook

I sold my Late 06' Model for $750 with the Mini DVI adapter, BT Mouse, and Applecare

I was actually very curious if performance wouldn't be optimized in windows...but seeing your test results and the other comments about general performance in windows (i.e. some degree of right-click ability) makes me happy that I could run the MB w bootcamp without having to sacrifice too much from the OSX/hardware synergy.

..more surprising is the performance of the 9400M.

gosh for $1300, and a really solid aluminum body--I basically tried to (unsuccessfully) break the screen in the store today by bending it--I'd be so willing to pay the extra $300 over the $1000 thinkpad SL500 I have...

The only issue I have with the new MB/MBP is the cheap-feeling black plastic cover over the LCD screen joint in the back--that's literally the only weak point in the entire machine (and the only one I'd be really worried about getting damage/cracks in down the road).

I think it should hold up fine. Remember the old G4 Powerbooks have that same hinge. If I'm seeing those around today the new Macbook's should be fine.

Loving my MBP, plenty nippy to replace my PC but its really not any quieter; when using the 9600 for more than 15 minutes the fan is usually upto 5k rpm (pretty high pitched noise). Suprised more reviewers didn't put this down as a negative .. I guess that's hype for you :p

Think i'll repair my PC and use it solely for my longer gaming sessions, use my mbp the rest of the time.

Well.. im sure its a given when heat kicks up to extreme amounts, the fan gets loud. The MBP isn't an exception. You should hear my dell e1705 from back in the day, it sounded like a turbo spooling up forever. Next culprit is the acer aspire one. When i was playing diablo 2 it was easily the highest pitched fan (much more irritating IMO) than anything ive heard ever.

im sure it smells good (because imo mac products smell good when they are fresh and new)

Loving my MBP, plenty nippy to replace my PC but its really not any quieter; when using the 9600 for more than 15 minutes the fan is usually upto 5k rpm (pretty high pitched noise). Suprised more reviewers didn't put this down as a negative .. I guess that's hype for you :p

Think i'll repair my PC and use it solely for my longer gaming sessions, use my mbp the rest of the time.
That's the way to go. I love my MBP, but when it comes to anything more than a very light gaming session, I use my PC.

That plastic is where the wifi antenna is. Unfortunately its necessary since that sort of thing doesn't work well behind aluminum. I expect it will hold up fine since that section is still partly aluminum, plus every other laptop out there does just fine being entirely plastic. :)

Seems like a non-concern to me. My personal issue with the Macbooks is screen quality; IMHO the MBP and Air both have much better screens when compared side by side. That sort of thing doesn't matter to most people out there but its a deal breaker for me.

But its weird, the difference between the Macbook and the Macbook Air displays really surprised me considering that they are both the same size.

Back