Alternatives to Rackspace for large virtual environment?

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

We have over a dozen hypervisors each with two 12-core Xeons, maxed out to 256GB RAM, and connected to several dozen terabytes worth of SANs and located in Dallas, TX. We also have a few hypervisors in Rackspace Chicago and Hong Kong datacenters. A few our production servers are pure SSD for storage and have PCI-E SSD cards for insane SQL performance. We have hundreds of VMware View-powered virtual machines as VDIs, and using LG all-in-one zero clients on-site at all our facilities.

We are looking to move to another company to see if there is a less expensive provider. Currently, Rackspace provides us with the hardware (servers and routers), and they are responsible for managing routers and switches (we do not have access to them and must call in to have them modify settings on them). The only things they don't provide us are the Teradici PCoIP Apex offload cards and some SAS/cards for iSCSI connections. They are also responsible for detecting drive failures, replacing them, and notifying us. We are responsible for everything else beyond a starter ESXi installation. The only IP-over-KVM we have is the iLO-equal for Dell.

So far in my list I have SoftLayer, Level3, and Amazon. Any other companies we should look into?

Last edited:
Would it be worth making the investment in hardware and working out a Colo contract as opposed to managed and leased servers?

I'd also check with Netvpro. They are a smaller company, and can customize a solution for you.

We use softlayer at the company I work for. If you are looking to save money, you'll probably have to look elsewhere. I think they are even more expensive than Rackspace, but the extra money is for the service/reliability.

Also sent a PM. Those big guys are very expensive, especially soft layer.

I've migrated a few clients of Rackspace as well. Their offerings are pretty good, but they are also rather pricey in the end.

no experience, i just know they have cloud type offering due to i sit in the waiting area for Chicago DC :p

centurylink

iNetU. I got a contact there that can hook you up with a great price and setup!
They've not had any downtime unlike amazon or rackspace.

Back