Alternatives to Precision XOC for EVGA iCX cards?

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by Parja, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Parja

Parja [H]ardForum Junkie

Is there any alternative software out there for monitoring and controlling EVGA iCX cards than Precision XOC? I'm getting really annoyed with that amateur hour bullshit software, but since I've got a 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid, I seem to be kind of stuck with it.

I might just switch to Afterburner anyway and live with the loss of monitoring and control over the card.

2. Zinn

Zinn Pronouns: ze, zis, zit

No alternative, it's really just a skin on the same code as afterburner so I don't get what's the big deal. Both apps have shit UI

Armenius likes this.
  3. Parja

Parja [H]ardForum Junkie

No, it isn't. Precision XOC is a completely different program from Afterburner.

And for iCX cooler cards, in particular, Precision XOC offers controls (ie. separate radiator and PWM fan controls) and sensor readouts (2 GPU temps, 3 mem temps, and 4 PWM temps) that I don't believe any other program can do.

4. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger @le, an alcoholic's best friend.

Just don’t use Precision X. While it lets you stare at a bunch of temp sensors all over the card, doesn’t mean you have to. There is little real world benefit to knowing all the temp readings like that.

5. Parja

Parja [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. My issue was more the ability to control the fans, but I'll just let the ones I can't control do their thing automagically.

6. Island

Island Gawd

I agree precision X is pretty buggy, but afterburner can't control individual fans with profiles and doesn't have the sensor functionality for the EVGA cards. When it works though and I can get it to launch in a particular game, Precision works ok

7. NoNRG

NoNRG 2[H]4U

For the last few days I've been dealing with BSODs on Windows 10. Minidumps are pointing to EVGA Precision as the cause. I was using the latest version of their software on Windows 10 Pro version 1803. If you are on Windows 10 and they pushed the update to you, beware of this issue.

Finding an alternative would be great, guess I'll have to go with Afterburner for now.

Edit: Not an isolated incident, found this on their forums. Some people seem to be using it without problems though.
    https://forums.evga.com/Precision-XOC-627-bugcheck-crash-m2821548.aspx

Ocellaris likes this.
  8. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

I've never had I problem with it, but I prefer Afterburner. The one thing I really like about Precision is the framerate limiter always works and without the need for a separate program.

Keep in mind that power monitoring with any program needs to be disabled right now.
    upload_2018-8-29_9-45-31.png

9. Zinn

Zinn Pronouns: ze, zis, zit

oops ^

CoreStoffer likes this.
  10. Lmah2x

Lmah2x Gawd

Precision just uses the Nvidia Driver frame lock which adds more input lag than Rivatuner. Personally I prefer RivaTuner but the Nvidia Driver/Precision frame limiter makes the card downclock properly which is good as well. But I use a static clock so it doesn't really matter to me which is why I don't mind Rivatuner now, but there was a time when I preferred the Nvidia Driver lock, when I used GPU Boost.

11. EvilViking

EvilViking I Drank All Your Beer

So. Theres nothing else to use besides Precision to control the fan? I just got a FTW3 Hybrid 1080ti and the fan located on the card will only spin after I download Precision.

12. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger @le, an alcoholic's best friend.

The fan should spin on its own with zero software installed. If the fan isn’t spinning, first check to make sure you don’t have some other tweaking apps installed.

13. Staypuft

Staypuft Gawd

By default, the fan won't spin at idle until the card is loaded. Precision will start fans at idle unless you use auto control and change it on the curve.

Precision is buggy for me, sometimes it won't spin the fans at all under load using a custom curve and I have to restart the software or PC.

14. EvilViking

EvilViking I Drank All Your Beer

I have Corsair CUE installed. I think it may be causing an issue. Also how to you disable Power Monitoring?

15. arestavo

arestavo [H]ard|Gawd

If you have it checked in the Dispay On Screen, or Display On Keyboard under the monitoring section then it is on.

FWIW, I have CUE, Afterburner, and CAM all running just fine.

Armenius likes this.