Alternatives to Creative X-Fi

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
14,959
So I am getting some 80ohm Darth Beyer's soon. I have an X-fi with everything on it turned to neutral no stupid bells or whistles. I have a PSU, a Zu pivot but no amp or DAC. I like the Corda Aria but it's too much $$. What can I do for say >$300 to greatly improve upon the X-FI for GAMING mostly. I am a serious FPS player and need to hear more seperation of sounds as well as clarity.
 
Ive got a pair of dt770s myself, an an Xfi, unfortunately there isnt much else in an alternative for gaming. Theres plenty of choices for music, but with EAX being proprietary and the Xfi's macroFX and headphone virtualization theres really not anything better for games

Thats not to say i like it, its a whole lot better than the audigy series, but i hate the monopoly creative has on the gamers soundcard market
 
You could pick up an X-fi Elite-Pro which has better DACs than the regular X-fi series. I am using this with a very high-end headphone setup and it sounds amazing.
 
well I was thinking of buying an external DAC but in the end it's the same price. hmm
 
naw I won't give another dime to Creative. there has to be an external DAC that does the trick better.
 
spaceman said:
naw I won't give another dime to Creative. there has to be an external DAC that does the trick better.
Sorry, but nope ;) DACs won't do EAX or any other hardware acceleration,

For gaming, the only choice is the X-Fi IMO. I'd recommend you get a good DAC later on that will connect to your X-Fi's coaxial digital out and then a good amp :)
 
a dac which will connect to the X-Fi's coaxial digital out is? amps I am probably going to get one built by Mr.X
 
I'm not a DAC specialist by no means, but my $350 (purchased used) Parasound DAC has both SPDIF & coaxial inputs, and can output a true balanced signal. I definitely recommend it, that is if you can find one ;) As for a Mr.X amp, he makes a KILLER PPA :D


 
Good choice on the AMP. The DAC would be best for music. Amp set up for your 770s and call it a day. Trust me, BF2 will sound better but a DAC is a dead end on this one.

By the EA shouldn't get anymore of your money either. 2142 can set on the shelves until Armageddon as far as I am concered.
 
2142 sucks the big one for sure. BF2 is going to die off now with the 1.4 patch anyway. makes the game unplayable for many. that and it's still a buggy pos. EA is the devil.
 
The DACs in the X-fi Elite Pro are the same as the EMU 1820M recording card, which I have compared to my MSB Gold Link DAC III w/Powerbase ($2250 List) and it is comparable, although the MSB DAC wins with the 96khz upsampling enabled.

Do not waste your money on an external DAC for gaming, chances are the parasound DAC or equivilent would actually sound worse because these days top-end DACs (like the CS4398 in the X-fi Elite Pro) outperform any DAC from a few years ago. The X-fi Elite Pro also has some pretty decent OP-Amps, not the best, for certaintly much better than most consumer sound cards.
 
maybe if someone sells their elite pro for around 250 I might bite but really I don't want to spend 400 on a creative product.
 
Zan780 unless I missed the boat this is primarly for gaming. Ultimately with companies moving form WAVs to MP3s and the general sound quality of games, I doubt $400 sound card is going to make a signficant differance.

I would start with that Mr X or other builder amp. In fact there is one for a wickedly low price on the for sale forums at Head Fi. Right now your 770s are not getting enough juice. The degree would depend on which model you have have (80/20/600 imp) but all of them are going to sound fuller (louder as well) and richer with a good headphone amp. Running a higher imp cans straight off a sound card blows.

Also, unless you are on a very tight budget (sub $200) I would make sure you get hooked up with a power supply both to regulate the juice and because for a non-portable rig, changing batteries every other day or worse during the middle of a battle blows nuts.

Later if you get into using your PC as a source and get the major audio bug, a new sound card, DAC etc will always be an option. But for games it won't make a big difference. The headphone on the other hand will bring a smile to your face and if you are lucky that will do it and your wallet will be thicker.
 
I have a hell of a psu and the Darth's are 80 ohm so the pint should be plenty. I don't listen to music much but I do listen for footsteps often.
 
Luthorcrow said:
Zan780 unless I missed the boat this is primarly for gaming. Ultimately with companies moving form WAVs to MP3s and the general sound quality of games, I doubt $400 sound card is going to make a signficant differance.
Having owned both the lower end X-fi and the Elite Pro I will have to disagree 100% and say that the difference is significant and made a huge difference on my headphone setup.
 
Back
Top