• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Alternative to windows media player...

Shhhh

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
82
Hello all,

The title pretty much says it all... is there anything better than WMP that can play music and videos? preferably free but whatever you folks are using I'd love to hear about it...

Thanks!
Shhhh
 
I use Winamp with MAD 24bit output plugin for music and VideoLAN VLC Media Player for video and DVD's.
 
Thanks for your quick replies... Is the winamp pro worth the $19 price tag? or will I basically have the same functionality as WMP with the basic?

And I'm not familiar with VideoLan VLC Media Player? does it play WMV files? because alot of my videos are in that format (I hope I'm not suck with MS now that I realized this) :confused:

Thanks again,
Shhhh
 
Shhhh said:
Thanks for your quick replies... Is the winamp pro worth the $19 price tag? or will I basically have the same functionality as WMP with the basic?

And I'm not familiar with VideoLan VLC Media Player? does it play WMV files? because alot of my videos are in that format (I hope I'm not suck with MS now that I realized this) :confused:

Thanks again,
Shhhh

Basic winamp is fine. Also consider Foobar2000 which has alot more functionality out of the box. For video VLC is the way to go.
 
I used to use MS media player, then Winamp.

Now I'm in love with my Foobar2000.
Stock its decent, but with a few slight changes it really suites my needs.
Tabbed playlists and the functionality you get with it........ it's amazing.
 
Currently I use Foobar2000 for music and BSplayer for video content. I don't watch DVD's on my computer so I don't have a need for that function.

The rest of course is handled by the proper codecs and ffdshow.
 
Media Player Classic for videos, comes with just about all codecs wmv, real, and quicktime, also supports Xvid, DivX, MKV, and OGG formats.

Foobar for music...

Both programs are simple and have lot of options
 
Mediamonkey is built from winamp and can use winamp plugins, but it has an outstanding library organization system and database that is much better than winamps. Can sync with ipod and many other players, burn and rip cds, batch tag mp3s via amazon with album art, ect. Makes maintaining 10,000+ songs quite easy IMO.

I believe ther are some plugins now that allow for video as well, so that is nice too.
 
/me is gonna give mediamonkey a try. Word of Mouth advertising FTW!

is there any plug-in you know of for it (or winamp, really) thatd let me mark a file to be played next without fucking up the playlist or turning off shuffle (for when that file is done)?
 
In winamp, you click the song you next want to be played and press Q (hotkey for queue(sic?) up song). I don't recall it messing up shuffle but then again, I no longer use shuffle...
 
Zoogle said:
In winamp, you click the song you next want to be played and press Q (hotkey for queue(sic?) up song). I don't recall it messing up shuffle but then again, I no longer use shuffle...
w00t it works!
unW00t it doesn't look like its supported by browseamp.

Maybe media monkey's rempote thingy will support a similar app.
 
Back
Top