Alternative to TrueCrypt

TrueCrypt 7.1a is still secure, at least nothing proving otherwise is known and a.big audit is ongoing. I certainly trust it more than Bitlocker.

There's also https://truecrypt.ch/ for future development.

Last edited:
And of course the truth is we might never know. There's a good chance that any encryption software will have NSA backdoors and/or other intentional (forced) flaws. I will continue to use TrueCrypt until I'm aware of something better.

In all honesty, you'd need to be into some majorly questionable dealings to attract an acronym agency with the skillset and budget to try to crack whatever you were trying to hide with Truecrypt. Those same agencies refuse to share those abilities with other law enforcement agencies.

And Having worked with encryption as an intern in college, you have little to fear when it comes to "backdoors". If they want to crack something badly enough they have magnitudes more crunching power than they would need to do so via brute force. All those time to crack estimates you see when people discuss ciphers are generally based on old computational models using several generation old cpus. Even a cheap gpu card we can buy now could out perform an entire cluster of the older cpu based cracking rigs. So imagine how much smaller the time frame becomes if you have super computing clusters that also contain massive GPU counts.

Last edited:
If they had all the computing power in the world and multiplied it by million, they still wouldn't be able to crack a strong password for longer than humans have been around. There are much more useful methods available. Hell, if they really want it, "good" old torture would do the trick.

If they had all the computing power in the world and multiplied it by million, they still wouldn't be able to crack a strong password for longer than humans have been around. There are much more useful methods available. Hell, if they really want it, "good" old torture would do the trick.

Obligatory xkcd comic (http://xkcd.com/538/)...

I use LUKS for my offsite backups, easy enough to use I think.

Encrypt partition (Destroys any data currently on partition.)

Code:
# cryptsetup --verify-passphrase --cipher aes-xts-plain64 --key-size 256 luksFormat /dev/sdaX
# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdaX secure
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mapper/secure
# mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/secure
# mkdir /mnt/secure
# mount /dev/mapper/secure /mnt/secure

To secure the partition
Code:
# umount /mnt/secure
# cryptsetup luksClose secure

Reopen partition
Code:
# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdaX secure
# mount /dev/mapper/secure /mnt/secure

Last edited:
I was coming in to ask the same thing.

I refuse to use something like BitLocker and would like to use something similar to TrueCrypt.

I like to encrypt my phone and laptop in case they get stolen. I do have something to hide: all my data from thieves.

So, what are viable alternatives that are compatible with TrueCrypt?

Also, I'm about to move this weekend and I bought a new computer. If I just take my TrueCrypt drive and open it up with the version of TrueCrypt that is currently posted on thir website before moving to another encryption program?

Why do you feel you have to stop using TrueCrypt? It is still better or at least as good as anything out there.

So the build that is currently up there works just the same? I would like not to stop using TC, but I thought it will only be there for "migration" purposes and for a limited time.

Back