Alternative to RDP for remote access between 2 PC's on same network?

Dexter007

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 10, 2011
Messages
147
So I found out yesterday that PC's running Windows 7 Home Premium cannot host a RDP connection but can only act as a RDP client, meaning they cannot be connected to but they can connect to another PC that is able to host a RDP connection.

What I want to do is remotely connect to my HTPC (running Win 7 Home Premium) from my desktop (which is also running Win 7 Home Premium). Since RDP won't work, what other alternatives do I have? I've looked into LogMeIn and TeamViewer, which could be viable alternatives. Are there others that I could use that could connect directly over the network rather than using an Internet connection?
 
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into each of them. I'm having problems accessing TightVNC's website from work at the moment. Is setup fairly simple? I've never used any apps like RealVNC or TightVNC, but I have some better-than-basic networking experience.
 
As I mentioned in OP I've looked into TeamViewer, but unless I'm wrong doesn't TV connect via Internet connection, like LogMeIn? If possible I'd rather have an application that connects directly over the network rather than Internet connection. Or maybe TeamViewer can do this? Correct me if my assumption is wrong.
 
If going VNC I would go with UltraVNC. It seems to have the most features available.
 
If going VNC I would go with UltraVNC. It seems to have the most features available.
You know, I used to love ultravnc, but their latest releases on Vista+ have been absolute crap. So much random behavior; can't login, can't authenticated ( despite having the right credentials ), can log in but it's view only and you can't change it, you can log in and get full control...until you log out, everything works...for a moment, then your client freezes.

Realvnc is less featured, but it works just fine on vista+. That's what I'm moving towards.
 
TightVNC is looking like the frontrunner at this point. I'll check out UltraVNC, but I really don't need a lot of features. I'm just going to be managing my HTPC from my desktop rather than the HTPC itself, since that would be a PITA with the way it's currently set up.

I was finally able to access TightVNC's website at work and it looks like something I can handle with no problems.
 
As I mentioned in OP I've looked into TeamViewer, but unless I'm wrong doesn't TV connect via Internet connection, like LogMeIn? If possible I'd rather have an application that connects directly over the network rather than Internet connection. Or maybe TeamViewer can do this? Correct me if my assumption is wrong.

I apologize, should have read your request in detail. Actually team viewer doesn't need to utilize a parent server. By default this feature of the team viewer application is not active. You will have to activate the LAN mode in teamviewer. Start the teamviewer application and click extras and select options. Now select the general tab and activate 'Accept incoming LAN connections'. Then in the computer ID, enter the IP of the computer on your LAN and password and you are in.
 
I apologize, should have read your request in detail. Actually team viewer doesn't need to utilize a parent server. By default this feature of the team viewer application is not active. You will have to activate the LAN mode in teamviewer. Start the teamviewer application and click extras and select options. Now select the general tab and activate 'Accept incoming LAN connections'. Then in the computer ID, enter the IP of the computer on your LAN and password and you are in.

Thanks for the heads-up tmillszero1. I'll have a more in-depth look at TeamViewer now.
 
You know, I used to love ultravnc, but their latest releases on Vista+ have been absolute crap. So much random behavior; can't login, can't authenticated ( despite having the right credentials ), can log in but it's view only and you can't change it, you can log in and get full control...until you log out, everything works...for a moment, then your client freezes.

Realvnc is less featured, but it works just fine on vista+. That's what I'm moving towards.

Yeah, I've used them all though I haven't had any of those problems on Windows 7 with UltraVNC.

The best feature of UltraVNC I like is the mirror driver which seems to speed up performance beyond what RealVNC or TightVNC can offer.

http://www.uvnc.com/features/driver.html
 
Yeah, I've used them all though I haven't had any of those problems on Windows 7 with UltraVNC.

The best feature of UltraVNC I like is the mirror driver which seems to speed up performance beyond what RealVNC or TightVNC can offer.

http://www.uvnc.com/features/driver.html
I have to wonder if it's that my users run as limited users. Or the domain environment. Either way, ultravnc is just too flaky for my environment anymore. It used to be OK, but it seems with the security model change of vista they just completely dropped the ball.
 
You know, I used to love ultravnc, but their latest releases on Vista+ have been absolute crap. So much random behavior; can't login, can't authenticated ( despite having the right credentials ), can log in but it's view only and you can't change it, you can log in and get full control...until you log out, everything works...for a moment, then your client freezes.

Realvnc is less featured, but it works just fine on vista+. That's what I'm moving towards.

I found UltraVNC to be not very good either. The viewer is horrible IMO.

VNC is easy, allow port 5900 on your Windows Firewall or just disable windows firewall entirely if you're comfortable with your home router.
 
Ended up trying out TeamViewer. Setup was pretty simple and things are working exactly as I had hoped for. I appreciate all the suggestions!
 
Back
Top