Alternative to Philips 4065UC UHD

elitebox

n00b
I recently purchased a Philips 4065UC UHD. It's a nice monitor, but I notice that when I scroll up/down webpages, for example, there is visible "streaking," as if the text is not refreshing quickly enough. Has anyone else noticed this?

Is there another 4k monitor on the market that has a semi-gloss display like the Philips 4065UC UHD?

Thanks!

Why not just return it and get a new one? It sounds like a problem with the panel. Most people in the 4065UC thread haven't had this problem.

Seiki is coming out with a similar model in a few months.

I recently purchased a Philips 4065UC UHD. It's a nice monitor, but I notice that when I scroll up/down webpages, for example, there is visible "streaking," as if the text is not refreshing quickly enough. Has anyone else noticed this?
Is there another 4k monitor on the market that has a semi-gloss display like the Philips 4065UC UHD? Thanks!

What is driving your monitor?

Isnt the streaking caused by the reverse ghosting due to a useless overdrive function?
It is called "SmartResponse" in the menu and should be disabled.

make sure to switch it to DP 1.2 ( so you can run it at 60hz ) in menu as it set 1.1 as default .

Here's a video showing the "streaking." Pay close attentions to the blue headlines such as "Jordan threatens....," "Cuba: Photos of...," "Police announce ...," "Google's secret project ....," "Rex Ryan...", "Pebble smart watch....," and "New Ford Focus...."

https://www.youtube.com/embed/D9UWfjTSrYU?vq=hd720

Last edited:
Is this normal? Am I overreacting?

You might want to try posting in the official thread for this monitor, as it is sure to get more attention than this one. A few people in that thread own the monitor and could comment; I don't see any of them posting here.

As far as an alternative, one does not exist of similar size at this time. The Philips is truly in a class of its own right now. As finrep mentioned, Seiki will be releasing a possible alternative but no one knows exactly when that will be or how it will compare to the Philips.

Any reviews on the Seiki Pro SM40UNP 40.0-Inch 4K LED-Lit Monitor? Does it have the same glossiness as the Philips 4065UC?

ok. this is not my question. let me repeat: Any reviews on the Seiki Pro SM40UNP 40.0-Inch 4K LED-Lit Monitor? Does it have the same glossiness as the Philips 4065UC?

Digitalforce from overclock.net had one, replaced it with Crossover which he found better overall except excessive brightness even at min settings
http://www.overclock.net/t/1549360/crossover-44k-uhd-led-40-inch-monitor
The newer version is due in June, it might address some shortcomings of existing version.
Wasabi-Mango is also quite interesting one, need more intel on it, including input lag, which based on some inaccurate preliminary tests doesn't look super impressive ~30ms
And of course there is Samsung 2015, check the big thread

That's some mean ghosting / pixel response. I couldnt deal with it.

It's a problem with your unit. I had this too with my old unit that also had dead pixels. I got a replacement from Philips and it's a lot better. The panel does have inherently slow black to white transitions, but the 18 ms or so what TFTCentral stated does not produce strong trailing like this. I would suggest trying to get a unit from a newer batch. It might be that they've improved this in the later manufacturing runs.

I can testify that these streaks and input lag is normal on this monitor, that's why I've sold mine.
To my knowledge there is no solution, this is just the monitor as-is. Some people state to not have this problem, but I'm pretty sure I just have high standards and I notice these kind of "defects" immediatly.

Not a bad monitor though, you just have to make up for yourself if you can live with it; I couldn't, also because of the sheer size which was in retrospect a bit too much for me.

I can testify that these streaks and input lag is normal on this monitor, that's why I've sold mine.
To my knowledge there is no solution, this is just the monitor as-is. Some people state to not have this problem, but I'm pretty sure I just have high standards and I notice these kind of "defects" immediatly.

Not a bad monitor though, you just have to make up for yourself if you can live with it; I couldn't, also because of the sheer size which was in retrospect a bit too much for me.

What did you get or planning to get instead?
Thanks

I would not be at all shocked to see something around 36-37" showing up in the 16:9 4K arena (monitors and TV's). There is quite a bit of space between 32" and 40" and there seem to be a growing number of folks who would like more than 32 but less than 40.

If your need is not urgent, you might consider waiting a bit. Seiki is coming with a new model and I'm sure manufacturers are trying to figure out where the market demand is and what they are willing to deliver at given price points.

So I decided to purchase the Seiki Pro SM40UNP. Huge mistake! It is ridiculously grainy compared to the Philips 4065UC. It's like night and day. In addition, the Seiki also suffers from the same type of streaking problem. I'll just keep my Philips and live with it, unless anyone here can make a case for the Crossover 44k (does it have the same glossiness as the Philips?). Thanks.

Last edited:
So I decided to purchase the Seiki Pro SM40UNP. Huge mistake! It is ridiculously grainy compared to the Philips 4065UC. It's like night and day. In addition, the Seiki also suffers from the same type of streaking problem. I'll just keep my Philips and live with it, unless anyone here can make a case for the Crossover 44k (does it have the same glossiness as the Philips?). Thanks.

Hmm, you might want to post that in the Seiki thread and get their thoughts; maybe fellow owners could offer you some help? I seem to recall others being happy with it, but maybe they hadn't seen the Philips beforehand. :D

How would fellow owners help with the graininess problem?

I don't know, unless there's a setting that needs to be adjusted.

It's just a suggestion...I hadn't seen anyone else complain about graininess.

edit: Oh, you mean the panel coating is grainy compared to the Philips? If so, yeah, there isn't anything you can do about that, obviously. The way you wrote your post you didn't mention the coating causing the graininess, so I assumed that you meant some other type of anomaly.

Last edited:
Why not return it and get the new edition of the Crossover 44k in a few weeks? It might not have less streaking since it is likely a result of the slow pixel response times, but it has far less blur since it does not use PWM: https://flic.kr/p/qSbVjo

Philips vs PWM Free TN

The Wasabi Mango UHD420 is also PWM free and will streak less since it uses an AH-IPS panel.

NCX, what's changing in the new version of the Crossover? Any improvements over the current version?

Back