• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Alternative to Ink Guzzling Printers?

Mike Armstrong

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 26, 2005
Messages
197
My Canon Pixma MP620 Ink Jet printer guzzles ink, even at lower settings. Ink cartridges are so expensive to constantly replace.

Is there an alternative to ink cartridge printers nowadays? The only one I see on a quick Google search is the Zink by Polaroid.

http://www.zink.com/
 
neat iea that zink is, hmm there is dye sublimation printers but they are costly.
 
For normal printing (not photos) color laser printers are surprisingly affordable now.
 
Zink paper is $20 for 50 sheets. Or close to 50 cents per page. Way more expensive than even the most ink hungry printers. Laser printers for non-photo uses are getting more and more reliable/affordable, but for photos your best bet is still probably a normal ink printer. The Canon MP620 (same printer I have) probably is still cheaper than a Zink system.
 
Zink paper is $20 for 50 sheets. Or close to 50 cents per page. Way more expensive than even the most ink hungry printers. Laser printers for non-photo uses are getting more and more reliable/affordable, but for photos your best bet is still probably a normal ink printer. The Canon MP620 (same printer I have) probably is still cheaper than a Zink system.

True. I'm surprised an affordable alternative hasn't been around for awhile now given the expense of replacing toner cartridges. Cheapest replacement 4-pack I found was at B&H Photo, still $38 though :(
 
$38 is pretty much the standardized pricing Canon set for its MP620 ink. In fact, the high ink prices nowdays are all pretty much due to printer companies wanting lots and lots of money. It's now standard practice to pay half the price you paid for the printer itself just for ink. It's also why the included inc cartridges are always tiny "demo" sized ones.

Boycott printing! Digital Media all the way!
 
I've switched to just printing my pictures at Walmart, or some other internet-connected printing firm like Snapfish. Good quality, decent pricing, and I don't have to worry about dicking around with ink cartridges that mysteriously need to be "cleaned" everytime I want to print something. Add a laser printer for normal day to day stuff, and I'm happy.
 
Back
Top