Alternative to ASUS Xonar Essence?

joxang

Limp Gawd
So because of WC + Crossfire, I have to get rid of my Xonar Essence STX (no available PCI-e slots).

I'm planning to get an Essence ST to replace it, but was wondering if there are any alternatives.

Pretty much the only consideration (in addition to being PCI) is that I must be able to plug in headphones and speakers at the same time, and swap between them via a software control panel.

Cheers :)!

Creative has their own competitor - Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD. Who knows if it's the usual Creative shit though. Probably is...

Omega Claro Plus+... I THINK it's PCI and it rivals the STX

No replaceable opamps, sadly...but yes, PCI. If you like the Essence STX, just get the ST, imo. I think purists prefer the ST anyway, it has less jitter I think?

@joxang
are all PCI-E 16x slots used in your CF setup?
that last PCI-E 16x looks like a decent place to insert that STX :)

@rampantandroid
ST have special chip that generate new clock signal because otherwise PCI clock would be used and as PCI clock on ST would come from actual PCI it would be very unpure and jittered. STX have PLX convestion chip that generate new clear clock so special corrections aren't necessary. And there is not single lab measurements that would prove me wrong :D

Only thing ST is better at is that it can be expanded to 7.1 by special add-on daughter-board...

Last edited:
I'll probably be ordering an ST. Cheers :)!

Good choice, lovely cards :)

The Claro Plus+ is a good card but it doesn't rival the Essence ST/X. In comparison It lacks in sound quality, shielding, dedicated powerful headphone amp, swappable opamps, and general specs as well i suppose and also the nice warm sound you can get with the Essence.

Back