Alternative to AIM?

Funky_Junk

Limp Gawd
My brother just came home and he's adamant about having AOL instant messenger installed. Without asking me he installed it and nows theres boatloads of junk on my computer. I uninstalled it but is there any alternative to AOL instant messenger that he can use and still be able to talk to his friends that use AIM? Thanks.

My vote would go for Trillian Pro but it has a known issue for people not being able to connect to MSN Messanger. Granted you said AIM but Trillian is made as a all-in-one messanger program. I find it a bit disappointing...and feel sorry for all of those that pay for it.

mluke245 said:
My vote would go for Trillian Pro but it has a known issue for people not being able to connect to MSN Messanger. Granted you said AIM but Trillian is made as a all-in-one messanger program. I find it a bit disappointing...and feel sorry for all of those that pay for it.

That issue only affects a few people. I'm using Trillian to connect to MSN right now, with no problems. You just have to keep your plugins updated; and given that he won't be using the MSN plugin, who cares?

But in this case, gaim is probably a better choice.

Terpfen said:
That issue only affects a few people. I'm using Trillian to connect to MSN right now, with no problems. You just have to keep your plugins updated; and given that he won't be using the MSN plugin, who cares?

But in this case, gaim is probably a better choice.

Even if it isn't a widespread case and you or may not use it, it's just good to know. Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky few and found quite a few others with the same problem. As of 2 weeks ago, this problem still exists...so I maybe behind on the news.

This is no knock on Trillian...it offers a helluva lot and the AIM feature worked fine for me.

On another note, I use Gaim with my Linux laptop and it works flawlessly.

generally speaking I dont do IM
thus I dont have to worry about a whole class of malware
no vector no infection

on the other hand when I do from time to time employ an IM client
or set it up for someone else its generally GAIM
both obscure enough not to get targeted, with enough developmental fanatics keeping it generally secure and working,

I do have a bias towards opensource :p

and I have also used MIranda and Trillian
all are good aps and I have no hard data on which is more secure historically

I've used AIM, GAIM, and Trillian. I'm using Trillian now. Love all the features about it, esp automatic chat logging :)

but sometimes, it does tend to take up a lot of CPU cycles. And it usually takes a minute or two to load the "buddy list".

I use Trillian basic. I couldn't get GAIM to connect to ICQ for some reason.

i remember about a gaim extension/plugin that adds a boatload of features but i can't find it anywhere (its another SF project)
anyone know about it?
i think it was called gaim + or something

Back