• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Alternative route to quick disconnects

Joined
Oct 2, 2003
Messages
2,173
Since quick disconnects are so expensive (like $50 shipped for a set of two :eek: ), is there a good alternative? I want to be able to disconnect two tubes from eachother, and have minimal leakage for 1/2'' ID tubing.

I was thinking, are there any such metal couplings that have a rotatable part (rotates in the direction as the circumference of tubing) that close a valve on each side? This may be difficult to visualize. Think of putting two valves together, each one with tubing on one side. If you close the valves on each side, and separate the tubes, there will be no leakage. This is basically what I am looking for, but less bulky.

Maybe there is no such thing, at least that can be made with parts at a local hardware store. I might need to bite the bullet and buy quick disconnects. :(
 
http://www.colder.com/asp_main/default.asp

Also have you tried a ball valve x 2 with a push-fit fitting inbetween so you can easily disconnect the tubing? Another solution is to use a push-fit "T" with a valve coming off the T if you just want to drain liquid. If you really want to actually separate component parts then the only solution that I am aware of is to use Colder disconnects. You can get them from www.mcmaster.com
 
Hmm, they seem to be cheaper at usplastics :). I am thinking of buying the insert with an elbow...will this severely hinder my flow?

I guess I could always make a loop.
 
Depends on whether you have a high flow design or a low flow design. The beauty of low flow designs is that the 90* elbows don't cause as many problems as they do in the high flow designs :D
 
Well, I have the opportunity to get a set of 1/2'' ID barbed colder quick disconnects for $25 shipped from a fellow [H] member. This is an excellent deal, however, these are not the panel mount type; they simply have a barb on each side.

Do you guys think I should still go for it? Is there anything that I can do so they can be mounted anyway without looking too shoddy? Maybe I can do something else?

I have considered just having the disconnects free-floating along the back end, so to speak, perhaps midway between the route from the PC to the external cooling box.

What do you guys think?
 
Back
Top