Alternate Windows XP Pro installs

Sieravor

Gawd
Is there a way to install windows onto an empty HDD, while inside windows, without having to restart anything? I doubt there is a method, but I figured I'd check. So, here's the problem:

For some damn reason I can't get past the hardware detection while installing from the boot cd. I recently installed XP 64, but found I don't like it and decided to switch back. I haven't had any issues with my comp in the past, everything is seated properly, all unneeded devices were either disabled in BIOS or physically removed from the system, yet setup still craps out immediately after booting from the install disk. I verified the integrity of the disk incase there was a problem with the data, but everything checks out ok. I've tested two different install disks at this point, one is just a regular install, the other a slightly modified version, both have SP2, and neither work.

I think it might be a problem with my graphics card, an ATI X300 SE (I know, it sucks), but I don't have anything else to replace it, so I can't really take it out. Here's my rig setup:

AMD 64 3500+ Clawhammer, no OC
2x512 Corsair, normal timings, no OC
250gb SATA HDD
100gb SATA HDD
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI
PCP&C TurboCool 510 SLI
ATI X300 SE PCI-E

I'm incredibly frustrated as I cannot isolate the problem, so if anyone has any suggestions or possible solutions, I'm up for trying them out.

What type of symptoms are you getting?
At hardware detection, does it just freeze, or does it parse an error?

So have you tried just using 1 SATA drive and then booting up the CDROM? Does this work? Also, where does it fail during the hardware detection? Are you even seeing the F6 prompt for optional drivers? Does your mobo need additional SATA drivers?

Yes, I've run a suite of diagnostics tools, and everything has come back negative. Optical drive, HDD, RAM, mobo, CPU, etc, are running fine.

ScHpAnKy said:
What type of symptoms are you getting?
At hardware detection, does it just freeze, or does it parse an error?

It quickly flashes something along the lines of "Setup is detecting hardware configuration" for a fraction of a second, then I get nothing. The HDD activity light goes non-stop, but no matter how long I wait it just isn't responsive. My monitor doesn't go into standby, all I get is a blank screen.

I don't get any prompts (F6, F7, etc), and my mobo doesn't need any additional drivers to support SATA.

::EDIT:: I'll try installing with one HDD in.

I'll be damned. Took out the other SATA HDD and it worked like a charm. For some reason, it was trying to set up a RAID or something, or was at least looking for the drivers in order to do so.

Thanks for the idea, dunno why I didn't think of it before.... :) So, problem solved, for now.

Hmm, that is usually the sign of some bad hardware. If it was the graphics card, though, I think you'd be seeing it immediately.

I'm only suggesting the (1) HD method because of the XP64 install. I never tried to install XP32 on the same drive I just had XP64 on. In theory, it shouldn't matter -- but you never know. If you can format the drive first -- that might help.

I think you said this already, but if you haven't -- reset your BIOS defaults and load the optimal configuration (or just leave them to default.)

Well, all the hardware checks out ok. Had to reinstall twice though, since I didn't label my disks and installed the wrong version. :(

At any rate, I'm going to do a more complete hardware diagnostic check as soon as everything is up and running again. The problem, regardless of what it was, is something that needs to be addressed.

Wow, the problems never end. Got the new install up and running perfectly. Installed some mobo based drivers to get the onboard gigabit lan working, everything's good. Hit windows update, everything installs, everything's good. Reboot. Halt at the WinXP splash screen. Reboot, safemode. Check the event logs. Seems that whatever windows updated made it so all of my services, starting at ACH and ending with TCP/IP won't run. :( At work now, so I guess I'll have to wait until I get home before I can reinstall. This has been the worst install ever. EVER.

Oh, the hardware is fine, heh. Just retarded windows doing half-asses updates.

Back