Alternate VPN Clients for use with IPSEC and Cisco VPN Concentrator

WesM63

2[H]4U
Title sums it all up. I'm not a big fan of the cisco client, its had issues installing on multiple pc's. (Yes its the latest version 4.8).

Any alternative clients out there that will work with the Cisco VPN Concentrator?

fwiw, I'm doing 3DES IPSEC with MS Radius server authentications.

WesM63 said:
Title sums it all up. I'm not a big fan of the cisco client, its had issues installing on multiple pc's. (Yes its the latest version 4.8).

Any alternative clients out there that will work with the Cisco VPN Concentrator?

fwiw, I'm doing 3DES IPSEC with MS Radius server authentications.

If there is a third party VPN software make sure it has GINA (If you need it).
GINA = Graphical Identification aNd Authentication. It allows you to make a network connection just before logging in. This allows for proper AD registration and logon scripts to run, instead of utilizing cached credentials. As a matter of fact I wonder if this could be causing some of your issues installing.

Most generic VPN software’s don’t have GINA support. Most of what GINA will get you can be accomplished through scripts that the VPN software may be able to run after connecting, but make sure you don’t need it, and or the generic software supports scripts after connection.

Have you asked Cisco to see if they support MS's built in IPSEC ?

WesM63 said:
No we havn't, but why would MS Radius Server be an option on the VPN Concentrator if it wasn't supported ;)
AHHAHhahahahahah that's a good one! Im sure it will be some stupid made up reason..the diffe helmans manoyase, TKIP left handed, key passing alogorythm uses 7 bit encryption instead of 8 therefore you have to turn on hardware flow control on your serial port, just because.. :p :)

heh notice the ;) I was kidding, i've had my fair share of encounters with cisco and supposed "working" things.

Can't use PPTP. I have to use IPSEC.

I'll take a look into the links tomorrow. Thanks!

We have over 2,700 users of which 65-70% have laptops. We run the Cisco VPN 4.7 & 4.8 client flawlessly across all of them.

The MS VPN client stinks worse then a pile of dawg vomit after it ate last weeks leftovers out of your fridge.

I'd stick to the Cisco client. Try looking at any funky apps you have on the PCs, or best yet, try a fresh install of XP, 2K, whatever your OS is and see if you have the same problems, my guess will be no, it's something else besides the 4.x client.

Back