Altec Lansing MX 5021 or Logitech Z5500

Hey guys

So almost after 3 years, i have decided to upgrade my speakers .

I have a Creative inspire 4.1 speaker setup currently

Recently i visited my friend's place and he has the MX 5021 speaker system , and i was totally blown away by the sound quality / clarity . Im not really a huge fan of bass, and i loved the treble and sound clarity the MX 5021 speakers delivered .

I know that these speakers arent produced anymore, but i found some sources locally where i can still get these speakers .

I need ur help guys, im very confused right now ..

I can spend upto 300 $ , i can go for the MX 5021 or Logitech Z 5500 setup .

i will be using them MAINLY FOR MUSIC, and a bit of movies :)..so thats my priority..i care more for soundquality for music

I really dont care abt 5.1 , my question is...how good is Logitech z5500 sound quality?..is it better than the Altec Lansing MX 5021 . I care only about sound quality , i want the best possible sound quality..pls let me know which of them have better sound quality ..whether the Logitech Z5500 or Altec MX 5021 .

Thanks guys

I have the MX5021 and love them! I got them last week at a pawn shop for 30 bucks. The were a little beat up, but sound great. I haven't heard the z5500 so I cant give you an opinion on them, I did have a pair of z4's and they sound okay. If there was one thing I would change about the MX's it would be the size. They are big.

If there was one thing I would change about the MX's it would be the size. They are big.
Well, you could always swap out the stock 5021 speakers for a set of baby speakers:

fingertip_cube_speaker.jpg

610x.jpg

Finally, a replacement for displacement...

:p

If you don't need 5.1, then most people would recommend you stay away from Z-5500, and other garbage like that sort. Get a good 2.0 or 2.1 setup for music. There's lots that are MUCH, much greater than those two systems you've mentioned.

I don't know why no one has suggested it yet, maybe they're sick of threads like this. There is a speaker recommendation thread by Spaceman, search it up. It will give you all the information you need.

Look for these brand names: Swan, M-Audio, Behringer, etc.

Off the top of my head, some that are good and that can be attained for around 300 or way less.

Swan M10, Swan M200mkii, Audioengine A5 (over 300$), M-audio AV40 (have these personally, great speakers, 120$ - 150$, upgraded from z-5500), Swan D1080mkii, behringer MS20/40, etc.

Do not buy garbage like klipsch, logitech, creative, etc. (their computer sound systems). Most of them spend their focus on a sub which is it's most greatest asset yet biggest downfall in the end as well. Satellites do not play music well in my experience. If you want a sub, again, look through Spaceman's thread. He shows some links to some great subs that are great bang for buck.

the MX5021's are great. I have my pair for years now and they are still going strong. The best way to describe these speakers is they are great for most music, games are fine as well and the sub has just enough punch, but nothing loud and or sloppy. Pair these with a decent sound card and you will be very happy with them.

If you don't need 5.1, then most people would recommend you stay away from Z-5500, and other garbage like that sort. Get a good 2.0 or 2.1 setup for music. There's lots that are MUCH, much greater than those two systems you've mentioned.

I don't know why no one has suggested it yet, maybe they're sick of threads like this. There is a speaker recommendation thread by Spaceman, search it up. It will give you all the information you need.

Look for these brand names: Swan, M-Audio, Behringer, etc.

Off the top of my head, some that are good and that can be attained for around 300 or way less.

Swan M10, Swan M200mkii, Audioengine A5 (over 300$), M-audio AV40 (have these personally, great speakers, 120$ - 150$, upgraded from z-5500), Swan D1080mkii, behringer MS20/40, etc.

Do not buy garbage like klipsch, logitech, creative, etc. (their computer sound systems). Most of them spend their focus on a sub which is it's most greatest asset yet biggest downfall in the end as well. Satellites do not play music well in my experience. If you want a sub, again, look through Spaceman's thread. He shows some links to some great subs that are great bang for buck.
not everyone needs or wants HT grade speakers for there computers. I don't understand why people always recommend this. The MX5021's are great for music. The dual drivers and small tweeter provide very nice sound. And I am guessing he is getting them cheap because they have been discontinued for quite a while now.

not everyone needs or wants HT grade speakers for there computers. I don't understand why people always recommend this. The MX5021's are great for music. The dual drivers and small tweeter provide very nice sound. And I am guessing he is getting them cheap because they have been discontinued for quite a while now.

It appears he wants quality. So I'm telling him what's quality. You didn't read his post, clearly.

Quote from his original post:

". I care only about sound quality , i want the best possible sound quality..pls let me know which of them have better sound quality .."

If he honestly has to ONLY choose between those two, then definitely go for the Altec Lansing. I had nothing but terrible experience with the Z-5500. Very poor quality (not just sound) issues.

if you only care for 2 channel music quality then get some 2.0 or 2.1 speakers. if you spend the same amount of money for a 2 channel rig that you wanted to spend on a 5.1 rig you should get some decent speakers for music.

if you only care for 2 channel music quality then get some 2.0 or 2.1 speakers. if you spend the same amount of money for a 2 channel rig that you wanted to spend on a 5.1 rig you should get some decent speakers for music.

I agree if he can afford to spend the money then building himself a 2.1 system is the preferred route to go. The only reason I haven't done it myself is the cost right now (baby on the way). He could build a much better 2.1 system for the price of the z-5500. Now if he was getting the MX 5021's for what I got them for then he couldn't go wrong.

wow :) i thought none was gonna reply to this thread....thanks a lot guys for such great response..HARDFORUM rocks:)

Anyways i have remove z5500 from my list , And right now its just Altec lasning MX 5021 .

At Adrenaline, i totally respect ur opinion to go for those HT speakers , and ofcourse i knew those ones have really amazing quality for the price . And i Appreciate the information you provided me brother:) . But the problem is like those brands are not available at my place ( India ) , and since these speakers and woofers are heavy items, buying them from amazon or anything like that is not worthy for me at the moment, because of the shipping charges ...for heavy items ! .

I will check out spaceman's speaker thread too, but am afraid those brands are not available at ma place!!

Somhow i was able to find an Audioengine USA AE2 Premium Powered Bookshelf Speakers available for sale here at 200 $, do you think its worthy at that price..and how they are compared to the MX 5021 :) ...

Thanks a lot people !!:)

Back