Altec Lansing FX6021 vs Altec Lansing MX5021?

uber_

n00b
So, I'm looking for new 2.1 speakers, because my old Yamahas just don't cut it anymore. Anyways, I've done some browsing around and seen that you guys really like to MX5021. I've been to some review sites, and although they've rated it pretty high, I looked aruond some more and to my surpirse, I saw these speakers! They're more expensive than the MX5021's (299.00), but there's this new InConcert technology thing, and I hear they make the speakers sound heavenly. I've looked around the forums for your guys's opinion of it, but I couldn't find any. So, if you will, please tell me what you think of these speakers :D .

I see this InConcert Technology as more of a marketing ploy than a huge advancement in sound technology. Sure the mx6021 meets one of its claims where the sound sounds the same whether you're standing 1m or 4m away from the speakers in a controlled environment.

I have spent some time with the mx6021's and sonically, these speakers just don't cut it. The system uses micro-drivers which in general do not deliver high fidelity sound for a $300cdn system. I avoid any speaker with micro-drivers, they're cheap (and to manufacture), they don't produce solid sound (loose high frequencies w/ quite a bit of distortion), and they do not produce any good bass at all. That means that the subwoofer will have to reproduce most of the bass and the speaker system will not sound as balanced.

Overall, the mx6021 is definately not worth looking at wearing a $300 price tag. At that price range check out some Promedia 2.1's. Don't think that I'm anti-Altec Lansing or anything, I love their more successful products (ACS48, 621, CS21, and mx5021).

I would get the mx5021, but, the subwoofer is unshilded and I'm kinda cramped for space in my room, and it's too much of a hassle to clean the speakers every day since of the high gloss shine of the speakers :p

I too am thinking hard about buying the Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra MX6021 2.1 speaker system. Unfortunately there are no REAL reviews yet! This includes sites such as amazon or newegg specifically. I do like the specs/contents on the MX6021's alot more than the Promedia 2.1's. Since the Promedia 2.1's technology/diaphram material is 9yrs old I'm leaning toward the Altec Lansing mx6021's. I'm also keeping in mind that the Promedia's sub has some problems later on?

I noticed that a previous poster stated that micro drivers should be avoided because "they don't produce solid sound (loose high frequencies w/ quite a bit of distortion". Well comparing the specs on the mx6021's and the promedia 2.1's, the tweet drivers on the promedia's happen to be smaller compared to the mx6021's? Not sure how the Promedia's are supposed to have less distortion. Maybe someone can explain.

Promedia 2.1 Specs...
Two .75" tweets 35 watts
Two 3" mid's 35 watts
One 6.5" sub 50 watts
Frequency: 31Hz - 20kHz
At least 120 watts total

Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra MX6021...
Two 1” tweets 33 watts
Two 3” mid's 33 watts
One 6.5” sub 68 watts
Frequency: 40Hz – 20kHz
At least 134 watts total

On frequency specs doesn't the Hz numbers on the left pertain to low-end base and the kHz numbers on the right pertain to the high-end?

I can't comment on the MX6021, but I own the FX6021 and will share my opinion, for what its worth.

Basically, this speaker system certainly produces far above "average" quality sound and verges into the territory of a "proper" bookshelf + amp combo. It will bring a smile to your face for sure and will impress anyone who hasn't heard thousand dollar+ rigs - seriously.

I'll try and quantify this with some personal experience, remember with speakers everything is relative to what you have heard before :)

The sound is crisp, detailed and the overall sound-stage is excellent, it produces an enveloping and warm sound. In complex tracks is it easy to discern each individual instrument. Treble produced by this system can get ridiculously sharp without sounding tinny, for example the start of Pink Floyd's track "Time" (with all the ringing clocks) can hurt your eardrums with pure pitch alone.

Bass is also good - deep musical and defined without being boomy, you can properly detect changes in bass pitch, like a bass guitar line. A decent amount of bass actually emanates from the satellites themselves as well - this system is not completely dependant on its sub to sound good.

It's the sort of system where you have to be careful what your feeding it, you definitely won't want to listen to 128kbps crappy old MP3s.

Really, all I can say at the risk of spitting our more buzzwords is that you will be happy with it and know that your listening to way better than "normal" sound.

Edit: When I was checking out this system online I had a hard time getting an idea of that relative size of it (its an unusual design after all) - so here's some relative size pics for your viewing pleasure:

FX6021_Front.jpg

FX6021_Sub.jpg

Last edited:
i own the fx6021's. had to pick up a pair because i blew my 5021's after leaving them cranked for a couple hours.

too tired to write anything long.

simple answer - the mx5021's were miles and miles better than these fx6021's. sound was much more hearty and awesomey. 6021's are too sharp. guess its a personal preference.

Back