Alright, we've got to figure out this "blinking" issue w/ the Dell adapter/eyefinity

Well, I have everything setup and running with the Dell adapter. I just plugged it in straight out of the box and everything is working flawlessly, I haven't had a single screen flicker.

Accell is a wholly owned subsidiary of BizLink Technology, Inc. Accell sells into the North and South American markets. Corp HQ is Fremont, Calif.

Haha, ok well then they are all made by BizLink and re-branded!

I just ordered an HD5850 and the Dell DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter. My new kit will be here in a day or two.

A few things weighing heavy on my mind:
1. I've always been an Nvidia guy, this will be the first high-end ATi card I've ever owned.
2. I just blew $420 (price of the card + adapter), the most I've ever spent on a video card. :eek:
3. I'm going to have to use a driver hack to keep using my secondary 9800GT as a PhysX card.
4. The blinking issue, which I'm REALLY hoping I don't end up with.

I know, in the end, all this worrying will probably be for nothing. I really can't wait to see how much better this performs at 5040x1050 than my current GTX260.

I'm having 0 negative experiences so far with this adapter. I'm not even using dual link DVI cables. Everything is working like a charm :D

I WAS one of the lucky ones with 0 issues, UNTIL I installed the beta 10.3 drivers. I have since experienced random in-game black screens in WH and Shift. Also, Shift crashed continually during races requiring a re-boot.

I have since re-installed the 10.2 official release, but still get the occasional "black screens". Probably will just wait for "official" 10.3, and hope it is ironed out.

Mabye just coincidence, but I gamed just as much before and never had an instance . after the 10.3s, it is still there. (uninstalled, driver swept, fresh new install of 10.2)

I believe the old Dell DP-DVI adapter's problem is that it requires more power than the usually USB port can supply. It looks like the usual USB port can provide about ~0.5A at 5 Volts. If we can supply about 1A, it may solve the problem.

I believe the old Dell DP-DVI adapter's problem is that it requires more power than the usually USB port can supply. It looks like the usual USB port can provide about ~0.5A at 5 Volts. If we can supply about 1A, it may solve the problem.

I tried 2 external USB power sources, one of which I know was 1A. I really am leaning on the firmware on the converter.

i also ordered another adapter from Dell and it should be here friday or monday. I tryed the 10.3 beta so i dont hope the beta messed something up...or else like yiu say..we wait for final 10.3

I got my new dell adapter today with the brand Bizlink on it and it seems to work fine for now, I had it for like 2 H and no flickering not even in games.

I give up, eyefinity is hopeless for me at the moment. Going to pack up my monitors and wait for a proper solution.

I give up, eyefinity is hopeless for me at the moment. Going to pack up my monitors and wait for a proper solution.
You're still having issues with blinking? Damn...

Well, not all hope is lost. You could always add a second video card, plug your 3rd monitor into it, and use SoftTH. All you need is something cheap like an HD 5450, and you're ready to go.

This was the solution I used to run games across three screens with my GTX260. SoftTH can be a little fiddly, but after a few tweaks, it works with almost every DirectX8 and DirectX9 game. It might be a good solution for you until you can sort out your issues with Eyefinity.

Last edited:
Thx RobertP :D
The pain i had with flickering and the cost of time and money seems all forgotten now hehe
But it was somewere still interesting and learning from the reseach from endless forum posts.

I can only advise people with flickering problems to RMA ther adapter and order another else were. ect i had my luck my dell. Or google a new bios and flash ther cards. Some people had luck with new drivers.

I blame the adapters.

Here is a bios page http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...ufacturer=&model=HD+5870&interface=&memSize=0

I know, in the end, all this worrying will probably be for nothing. I really can't wait to see how much better this performs at 5040x1050 than my current GTX260.

Your gtx260 will run 5040x1050? Mine won't. ;)

I did the exact same upgrade you're doing. It works great. I've found that I really like portrait for RTS and RPG. It also works pretty well for the games where the FOV can't be hacked.

I'm amazed at how well NFS shift runs, as well as Hawx. Portrait for Hawx as well. I hope you got some panels that rotate to portrait. That'd be my #1 recommendation for eyefinity upgrades.

Your gtx260 will run 5040x1050? Mine won't. ;)
Yeah, a GTX260 is about the same speed as an HD5770, it will run most games decently at 5040x1050.

All my screenshots in the Triplehead Screenshot Thread were taken on the GTX260 :D

I did the exact same upgrade you're doing. It works great.
Glad to hear it, I'm looking for a performance boost in newer games like Need for Speed Shift and Mass Effect 2. I should be able to turn on or increase my AA level in a few games as well.

I hope you got some panels that rotate to portrait. That'd be my #1 recommendation for eyefinity upgrades.
Nope, I don't intend to run triple-portrait. I'm not sure why anyone would want a setup like that; three 16:9 monitors, in portrait mode, results in one large screen that's still only 16:9.

If I wanted a big 16:9 screen, I would get a TV. Same aspect ratio as a portrait eyefinity setup, and no bezels :p

Triple-landscape, on the other hand, offers MUCH wider aspect ratios like 48:10. The wider aspect ratio also means wider FOV in most games, and when your display is wide enough to fill your entire field of vision, that's a big immersion enhancer :D

Nope, I don't intend to run triple-portrait. I'm not sure why anyone would want a setup like that; three 16:9 monitors, in portrait mode, results in one large screen that's still only 16:9.

If I wanted a big 16:9 screen, I would get a TV. Same aspect ratio as a portrait eyefinity setup, and no bezels :p

Triple-landscape, on the other hand, offers MUCH wider aspect ratios like 48:10. The wider aspect ratio also means wider FOV in most games, and when your display is wide enough to fill your entire field of vision, that's a big immersion enhancer :D

You're preaching to the choir. I know the benefits of 48:10. However, 48:10 offers absolutely ZERO benefit for most all RTS and some RPG games. I play RTS games the most, so three 16:9 in portrait (15:8) actually works very well and is a huge benefit over a single large screen. of course, a 30" would be nice for RTS, but there's no flexibility for 48:10 then. Portrait mode should also work for those bugger games that don't like 48:10. I also prefer portrait mode for general use (schoolwork, internet, forums).
So, there are many pros for portrait mode.

Hey have the same problem as many of you have, got my new dell adapter (active) and i get the same flickering and black screen, am using the Asus EAH5870 card with 3 ACER 24 inch screens.
Have sent in a support ticket to Asus and dell to see if they have any solution.
Freaking suckz when i have saved up the money and the shit is not working.
And i dont know about you guys but for me to flash a card is like saying to a monkey to fly to the moon :) since i am utterly sucking at doing things like that and have no clue even after reading the tut etc . will update on the support ticket progress.

Btw thx for all the posts on this issue this problem is driving me insane tbh

Edit: Talked to Dells Tec support they have no clue what the problem is and have not heard of any issues with the adapter they are sending me a new adapter, well dont have any hope that the other 1 will work but its worth a try.

Last edited:
Lion i want to bet 100 $ on that asus suppport tell you to flash the bios and i even doubt that it will work because im very sure it has to do with the dell adapter. It seems like you have got an adapter from a bad serie of production, when they still were training monkeys to fly to the moon :D

Call Dell and tell em you want a displayport with the given serie number that is verified to work from ati´s link http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

Or just keep RMA the adapter until you hit jackpot :D

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Display.aspx

Hey have the same problem as many of you have, got my new dell adapter (active) and i get the same flickering and black screen, am using the Asus EAH5870 card with 3 ACER 24 inch screens.
Have sent in a support ticket to Asus and dell to see if they have any solution.
Freaking suckz when i have saved up the money and the shit is not working.
And i dont know about you guys but for me to flash a card is like saying to a monkey to fly to the moon :) since i am utterly sucking at doing things like that and have no clue even after reading the tut etc . will update on the support ticket progress.

Btw thx for all the posts on this issue this problem is driving me insane tbh

Edit: Talked to Dells Tec support they have no clue what the problem is and have not heard of any issues with the adapter they are sending me a new adapter, well dont have any hope that the other 1 will work but its worth a try.

Just keep getting it replaced until it works, I know it's a pain in the ass but it's what I had to do.

Dear Valued ASUS Customer!

Please uninstall any previous VGA driver, restart your system into safe mode, run a driver cleaner program and remove any ATI or Nvidia driver, reboot the system then install this:.

http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/ATI/ati896_Win7Vista64.zip

Best Regards / Med Vänliga Hälsningar,
Nils
ASUS TMSS Support

DID all that did not help at all , thought it was some fix first but by the looks of it its just the new Catalyst drivers etc, if he just sent me that they have no clue what so ever!!

have sent a reply back what kind of program it is in the folder and what it should do just to make sure what he means

Ok i got a rage fit and wrote emails to ATI, Dell, ASUS telling all about the problem with the screen flickering etc was not very nice in my words to them but what the hell. When people pay this kind of money for having an Eyefinity setup.

I have been having problems with the Dell adapter, not working black screen blinking every 15 sec and so on heres a link to it, they are sending me a new 1.
http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sn....aspx?c=se&l=sv&s=dhs&cs=sedhs1&sku=490-11917

But was downtown today and remember someone telling me about the HP adapter about half the price as the Dell adapter ( link below) walk in and buy the cheap adapter comes home put the adapter in and its working perfect (well still going strong on 8 hours so far not once has the screen gone black or not even a flicker)

So my story seem to have a happy ending after so much trouble, good luck to all the rest of you guys my heart goes out to you who cant get the shit to work.

Cya i am off to play some cod4 on my 3 screens :)

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/se/sv/sm/WF06c/A1-329290-64265-3965876-3965876-3895841-3895844.htm

Got my HD5850 set up with the dell adapter, worked like a charm! :D

Looks like Dell has replaced their stock of adapters with the updated version.

Got my HD5850 set up with the dell adapter, worked like a charm! :D

Looks like Dell has replaced their stock of adapters with the updated version.

They probably got sick of replacing them all the time lol

For those of you who have had success with using a powerd USB hub, which model are you using?

Hi guys any updates on this? I have been following this thread closley and have took all advice offered.

I am currently running V105 of the sapphire BIOS, v3 of CCC (as v4 broke it), and I am running on 3 dell 22" monitors, using the Dell-Bizlink active displayport adapter like many of you.

I tried ringing dell support yesterday....what a total and utter waste of time.

Indian call centre :rolleyes: The last guy actually hung up on me, can you believe that? I wasn't even being rude!

Anyway, still having screen blackouts! Any more thoughts or experiences on this one??

Thx.

How old is your adapter? I would do whatever you can to get Dell to RMA it, and if that doesn't fix the issue, contact Sapphire about an RMA on your card.

Its about a week and a half old. I would rather not have to RMA my GPU as this will essentially leave me without a computer for god knows how long it takes sapphire to send it back.

Well I'm not sure about Dell, but I got my adapter from Amazon (same model as yours) back in March, and it appeared to have good firmware on it, so I would assume Dell's would as well by now. If you've already tried flashing to the latest BIOS on your card, I'm not sure what else you could try. I'm assuming you have a decent PSU?

I have emailed bizlink but as yet no reply. I dont even know where I could get updated firmware for my adapter, nor how to 'install' it. Yeah, Corsair 850 watt modular. Thanks for your help anyway.

I'm using the Dell adapter as well and don't have the blackout issue. Though sometimes when it changes resolution (e.g., exiting out of a game, etc), it gives me an out of range error on the monitor connected to the Dell adapter. Running 3x 2407wfps. If updating the firmware and doesn't work, I would RMA it.

Well as I said Im not too sure where to get updated firmware for the adapter, but if bizlink dont reply to me with it, then I will see about getting a new adapter.

I also get a screen when changing resolution, although it doesnt say "out of range" it gives some message about optimum resolution.

When screen goes black...if I turn the screen off and wait a few seconds, then turn it on again, its ok. For a few minutes at least :(

I'm using the Dell adapter as well and don't have the blackout issue. Though sometimes when it changes resolution (e.g., exiting out of a game, etc), it gives me an out of range error on the monitor connected to the Dell adapter. Running 3x 2407wfps. If updating the firmware and doesn't work, I would RMA it.

Yeah, I get the same thing when changing profiles. It's not a big deal at all, as it only happens rarely, and is fixed by a very quick power cycle on the monitor, or cycling through the inputs.

slinki, I don't think the adapter firmware can be updated outside of the factory; so an RMA may be your best bet. Sorry to hear you're having issues. I'm flat out loving my eyefinity setup. Not sure I could really go back. :)

Back