Alright...I dont believe this...

p0stal

Limp Gawd
Ok, My friend has an average/ok system, and he just got Doom 3 and a ATI Radeon 8500LE from his cousin..

I was wondering how in the heck he was going to play it with that card...But I asked him and he said it runs smooth. He says he has High detail, Dynamic Shadows off, 1024x768, no aa or af (I dont even know if the card supports it..not very knowledgable with ati cards), and he gets about 30 fps. He also says that if he drops it down to 8x6 he gets about 50...I just do not see how this is possible with his card...

His system specs are as follows (sry for the general specs, but I got them from him)

1.8 ghz AMD
512 mb RAM
ATI Radeon 8500LE 128
nforce 2 chipset (not sure what kind of mobo it is)

Is this really possible with this setup? Or is he just trying to make it seem better than it really is? I haven't ever witnessed him play Doom 3, but I have seen him play Farcry, but that was with his old card, I dont remember what that was. He says Farcray is better now too...I just dont believe him...

well.. concdering that i get about 40-45fps except in very heavy combat .. it sounds about right.. granted i have an ocd processor.. but its only off by 200mhz.. and i have a much faster vid card.. and run with 2x aa and af now.. i could see something being amiss if it where a 1800+ .. yeah.. thats off, as that is only a 1.4~ghz machine but at 1800mhz.. it sounds about right..

thore

I really dont know what it is...he jus said it was a 1.8ghz AMD...lol

But I dont get how such a crappy video card can even open Doom 3....It just doesn't seem possible. It was almost the first of its kind reguarding 128 mb memory...And to top it all off, its the Lite Edition of the 8500, the frequencies are set at 250/250 instead of 275/275...I JUST DONT GET IT :confused:

I run at 1024x768 with high details and it dips into the 20's :(. God damn x800's.. I run 1280x960 though with 2xaa because it runs almost exactly the same.. have to love the CPU limitations. Or maybe just the fact that the x800's SUCK ASS in Doom 3 :mad:. It sounds fishy though. I'd believe the Gf3/4 but an 8500.. Not sure though.

I'm not as heavy as most of the folks on the forums but I think I would have to see it to be sure.

Now, if he has the dynamic shadows disabled that might boost performance enough to get what he's telling you since it's such a big part of the game. I don't think I'd want to play it that way but if it was the difference between playable or not...

It probably doesn't make much of a difference visually to him because most of the eye candy would need to be turned off anyway.

Hmmm, on 8*6, med detail, no aa or af - Timedemo: 40 fps, maybe a bit less.

Thing is, I have an 2.2ghz XP (sandra rates it 3000+ish) with an X800pro @ 16 piples 500/500 ;-/

very likely with shadows off at 1024.

doom was optimized even for older hardware, remember hes running the dx7 path. so he wont get alot of the cool exploison effects and things. but his speed sounds about right.

also you have to understand his meaning of smooth. With his ultra low specs. 20fps during combat will probably seem smooth to him. compared to what it was before and what he is used too.

to top it off of course hes probably suffering from weakass pc system. so i wouldnt rail on him too much. For whatever reason he cant afford pc upgrades that sucks.

lol...yea he could upgrade his pc, but I don't think he really wants to. He used to be a [H]ardcore gamer, but now he isn't into it as much. Oh well, I can see where you are coming from with the dynamic shadows turned off. I asked him if the game looked like crap, and he said no. But I'm sure it does look like crap compared to the other screenshots I've seen with all the eyecandy on. Oh well, I'm just going to have to see it, to believe it.

Oh yea...And just to rub it in his face, I invited him over to watch me play once I get my new system :D

Back