• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Alright, Help me make an Informed Decision

Project_2501

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
1,170
Alright. Soon I'll have the money for an Ultra-High End card. Though, I don't want to spend much more than $550 on it, as I will also need to get an LCD monitor.

The card must have: Dual DVI (that's about it) and if ATi be a 850 series, or nVidia Ultra series. I kind of prefer the ATi better, but I'm open to suggestions, as long as the card is quiet.

But here's my dilemma: I already have an ATi X800XL, if I get the new card, my Dad will get this card. If I don't I'll give him about $200 in cash (he paid for the system, and object being sold to get the money). Or, should I wait for the R520 and G60 (70? 80?) cores to be released and get one of those. But if they're released mid-summer, they'll be available to us around freaking December. I'm not waiting that long.

To sum this up: Stick w/ card and give Dad $200 (already an X800XL)
Get Ultra-High End card (850 or Ultra)
Wait for next-gen cores (R520 or G-whatever)

*Edit*: Sorry I forgot, this is on a system w/ an A64 3200+ (will OC soon) and an Antec NeoPoer 480 (no problem with power) and a DFI NF4 mobo (meaning I need PCI-e).
 
You have an X800XL which is great until the new cards will be out. Stick with that and get a nice LCD to hold you over.
 
alright, I'll just do that then

time for a Samsung 19" 8ms display - $410 at the Egg.
That's good then as I also need speakers (better 5.1s) and an Audigy2 ZS Platinum card. Also, I can get another Hard Drive, probably a Seagate or Maxtor 300gb Sata. I have a Maxtor 200gb Sata 8mb cache right now, but I want more storage for my music. Though, I probably don't need it, and may get another of the exact same hard drive that I already have. But I won't run them in raid. And this leaves me some room for water cooling.

But, I want more opinions. :)
 
With next gen cards coming out too, I would pre-order the first chance you get to increase your odds you'll be one of the firsts to get it.
 
Eh, I would rather wait at least a month with new hardware. I mean, look at nVidia and SLI, it took a while for the drivers to work correctly, and without bugs.
 
Yeah, get a good LCD and wait out the new cards. You'll be kicking ass ;)
 
Alright then, this also allows me to get a gig of OCZ VX ram, maybe some DDR500. My DFI will do up to 4 volts on the dimms, so it should suffice. :)
 
Yeah, I plan on doing the exact same thing when I upgrade :D I love low timings....<3 my TCCD @ DDR400 2-2-2-12 (for some reason, 12 increases latency over 5 by alot...more so than 10)
 
Then again. I don't need to best ram, as I already have good stuff. Not the best Oc'er, but works well.

And, if I got a new graphics card, I'd get a dual-dvi board, and get one 17" LCD now, and another of the same model later when i have the money. Though, it might just make sense to keep my XL, it performs well, but I want more. Hehe.
 
Back
Top