Alright guys, I've been out of the loop for a while...

insanarchist

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone wanna give me a brief geek synopsis on the current state of:

Video Cards

Motherboards/Chipsets

Processors

? Last I really paid attention, Core 2 Duo's were the best thing out there, and quad-core processors were just coming out. Video cards: I have no idea after the 7***-series nVidia cards!

Video cards - 8xxx series for teh win, G90 with more powa coming soon. I'm rather clueless about ATI's end of things.

Motherboards/chipsets - P35 is good now, X38 coming in September..doesn't look like much though. Don't bother with anything other than Intel unless going SLI. No idea about the AMD end of things.

Processors - Kentsfield is out, Penryn is coming in a few months. Barcelona is also supposed to be coming in a few months, no clear indication on it's performance compared to Intel's chips.

Not that much information, but I dropped keywords so if you want to look into it, google will help. ;)

The 8800 GTX and Ultra are the fastest things on the face of this earth, at around $530 and $600 respectively. The GTSs are second best, and the Radeon HD 2900 XT is somewhere between the 320MB 8800 GTS and 640MB 8800 GTS in most cases, occasionally reaching GTX performance levels, but rarely. November is rumored to see the release of an 8700 GTS (G92) and new high end parts are expected in Q1 of 2008.

Core 2 Duos and Quads are still on top. There's still not much outside of the RTS world that uses quads in gaming, but they're useful with encoding and such. This may change in the near future. The E6750 at $200 is probably the most popular dual core for OCing and can hit 4+ Ghz with good cooling. New G0 stepping Q6600's can get as high as 3.75.

P35s are nice if you're staying with a single card, and the 680i is the only real choice if you want SLI. The Gigabyte and Abit boards are the most popular P35s and eVGA's 122-CK-NF68-A1/T1 boards are pretty much the undisputed Intel CPU SLI champs.

Thanks, I was also "out of shape". Its terrible when you stop reading news every week. so lame :D

Back