Hello all,
Just trying to finish up my 1st OC, and I'm running into a problem....Prime 95 stability.
So far, I've been pretty damn happy with my 3000+ Venice, as I've gotten it up to 300 HTT x 9, 2.5-3-3-7, 1T, 166 divider, 3X. I've been able to run all manner of benchmarks, 32M SuperPi, and even Memtest is stable (11 hrs last time I did it at these settings). Set it up to Prime95 torture test...almost immediate failure. Depending on figeting with settings, sometimes I get a few minutes, seldom more than 12 mins. Prime95 reports a Hardware Failure as the culprit.
In troubleshooting, I've tried the following:
Changed over SATA connect from #1 to #3
Raised Vcore in increments up to 1.66v. (although there is so much variation in these readings as reported by various software/BIOS, who knows what the real value is). Not sure how much more I can do here...
Loosened up timings: 2.5-4-3-7(8), 2.5-3-3-8, 2.5-3-3-10
Raised chipset voltage to 1.6 (didn't seem to have any effect, so I put it back)
Raised Vdimm to 2.8 (this actually only seems to cause a few Memtest errors. This Corsair TCCD RAM really seems happy at 2.7v.)
Now, I have been backing down the HTT, just to find where the Prime95 "breaking point" is. As of today, I'm able to run it overnight at 283 HTT. More than that and I'm not Prime stable. (OK, maybe some intermittent stability at 284-285).
The only other hardware thing I can think of is the PSU. I have a 420w. Thermaltake Silent PurePower. It is that one that is always ~$39 at New Egg. I notice my voltages seems to be jumping around when looking at software displays (eg. CPUZ). I do not have a DMM at this point. Could this be the bottleneck? I ordered an OCZ Powerstream 520 this morning as a pro-active future-proofing excercise in due diligence.
So, could it be the PSU? Any other tweaks I could try? OR...<gulp>, am I just at the limit of my CPU? If so, I suppose I shouldn't sweat it too much...2.55 ghz isn't too shabby, especially for my first OC.
Any insight is a help!
Just trying to finish up my 1st OC, and I'm running into a problem....Prime 95 stability.
So far, I've been pretty damn happy with my 3000+ Venice, as I've gotten it up to 300 HTT x 9, 2.5-3-3-7, 1T, 166 divider, 3X. I've been able to run all manner of benchmarks, 32M SuperPi, and even Memtest is stable (11 hrs last time I did it at these settings). Set it up to Prime95 torture test...almost immediate failure. Depending on figeting with settings, sometimes I get a few minutes, seldom more than 12 mins. Prime95 reports a Hardware Failure as the culprit.
In troubleshooting, I've tried the following:
Changed over SATA connect from #1 to #3
Raised Vcore in increments up to 1.66v. (although there is so much variation in these readings as reported by various software/BIOS, who knows what the real value is). Not sure how much more I can do here...
Loosened up timings: 2.5-4-3-7(8), 2.5-3-3-8, 2.5-3-3-10
Raised chipset voltage to 1.6 (didn't seem to have any effect, so I put it back)
Raised Vdimm to 2.8 (this actually only seems to cause a few Memtest errors. This Corsair TCCD RAM really seems happy at 2.7v.)
Now, I have been backing down the HTT, just to find where the Prime95 "breaking point" is. As of today, I'm able to run it overnight at 283 HTT. More than that and I'm not Prime stable. (OK, maybe some intermittent stability at 284-285).
The only other hardware thing I can think of is the PSU. I have a 420w. Thermaltake Silent PurePower. It is that one that is always ~$39 at New Egg. I notice my voltages seems to be jumping around when looking at software displays (eg. CPUZ). I do not have a DMM at this point. Could this be the bottleneck? I ordered an OCZ Powerstream 520 this morning as a pro-active future-proofing excercise in due diligence.
So, could it be the PSU? Any other tweaks I could try? OR...<gulp>, am I just at the limit of my CPU? If so, I suppose I shouldn't sweat it too much...2.55 ghz isn't too shabby, especially for my first OC.
Any insight is a help!