• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Almost had a heart attack just now...

Ryanx0r

n00b
Joined
Jun 17, 2005
Messages
42
Not sure if this belongs in this section but I'm not really sure what my problem is at this point...

Alright I just had a big scare with my new computer, I was playing BF2 and it just cuts off all the sudden, completely dead. I think "ah maybe it overheated or something of the like". I let it cool down for a little bit, turn it back on thinking everything will be alright, then within a few minutes it just cuts off suddenly again. This repeats for a good 5 or so times, until finally I think it's done for. I check the BIOS temps/etc, and everything seems to be fine. This final time that it turned off, all i did was turn off my surgeprotector and turn it back on, and now the computer hasn't crashed yet. So, could this possibly be an issue with my power supply, or does anyone have a clue what it could be??? Please help...

Here are the specs:

Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1mb cache
BFG 7800GTX OC
2GB Corsair XMS 3200C2
Maxtor Diamondmax 10 250GB SATA 16mb cache
MSI K8N NEO4 Platinum non-SLI
Antec NEOPower 480
Coolermaster Black Praetorian case

I think that's everything...
 
surgeprotector=too weak

or your psu is not efficient or something... and is drawing too much power from teh surge.
 
aZn_plyR said:
surgeprotector=too weak

or your psu is not efficient or something... and is drawing too much power from teh surge.

Yea I was thinking it could be the surgeprotector, either that or the power supply, but I can't be sure until I go buy another surge protector. Any suggestions on one?



Edit: Here's my current surgeprotector, I can't believe it's still for sale on newegg. I've had it since like 1997-98.

APC Surgearrest
 
Can anyone help out sheesh, at least tell me what you think is wrong :confused:

Not a powerful enough power supply perhaps???
 
Might try a digimeter on the rails
Could have been a weak on/off contact in the surge protector.
Switch wasn't completely closed.
I've had two on/off switches go bad
Maybe a heat issue.
If it happens again and the rails look good I would try another or no protector.
If it continues than I would think it's heat related
Good luck
 
Yea it keeps doing it now, I even found another surgeprotector lying around to try it on instead and I'm having the same results. I don't even know if heat is an issue because my temps seem fine even under load, but who knows maybe the power supply crapped out already. I'll really be p*ssed if i have to send this power supply back, or if something else is messed up in my system.
 
Just for kicks try Memtest. It should BSOD if the memory is bad, but try it anyway.

Check the video card heatsink. It really sounds like a heat issue of some kind.

Also try reinstalling BF2 and DirectX.

Run a Windows repair at boot.
 
If all else fails you may want to test your line for good power. You may have a home electrical problem.
 
Probably just the bad coding of BF2. I had this happen, once or twice then the first patch was released and it never happened again. Then another patch came out and broke the game.

"That's something ain't it? She falls in a well, eyes go crossed. She gets kicked by a mule, they go back to normal. I don't know."
 
Ratboy said:
Just for kicks try Memtest. It should BSOD if the memory is bad, but try it anyway.

Check the video card heatsink. It really sounds like a heat issue of some kind.

Also try reinstalling BF2 and DirectX.

Run a Windows repair at boot.

Actually I ran memtest when I left my house this morning and now that I just got home from work the computer is still running great with zero errors on memtest. Directx is fine, but it may very well be battlefield 2 messing with my computer, especially since this didn't happen before the new update. Another thing I should mention is that Windows has had no errors whatsoever, when usually if it crashes something will come up when you restart telling you that windows has recovered from a serious error. I'm really completely blind as to what the problem is.
 
bonkrowave said:
Probably just the bad coding of BF2. I had this happen, once or twice then the first patch was released and it never happened again. Then another patch came out and broke the game.

"That's something ain't it? She falls in a well, eyes go crossed. She gets kicked by a mule, they go back to normal. I don't know."

That may very well be true. If so they really need to fix it big time, but I've had nothing go wrong with bf2 as other people apparently have. I get no stuttering, menu doesn't lag, etc.
 
Well I believe that I just found out what the problem is, and it was nothing suggested...I opened the side of my case to find that the fan on the power supply isn't even moving, how great is that. I won't be responding for a few more days since I have to send this crap back to newegg, good bye.
 
Back
Top