Almost Everything Apple Sells Is Old And Stale

HardOCP News

[H] News
You can laugh all you want about Apple's complete line of products being old, outdated, and in desperate need of a refresh but, you know what? People are still buying their stuff hand over fist so who is getting the last laugh?

I've already looked at how pathetic the Mac and MacBook lineup are. Apart from the MacBook, nothing there is worth buying because it's either old and crusty (5K iMac), or very old and crusty (Mac Pro). Buying any of this stuff means you're paying top dollar for technology that is, by the standards of the fast-moving tech industry -- ancient. But it doesn't stop there. Apart from the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, everything there either needs to be refreshed, or is long overdue a refresh.

I've been waiting for a Macbook Pro refresh for over a year now. They have a great platform but like the author of the article mentioned, their products are old and crusty. I've been looking on Craigslist to buy a used 15" rMBP and even the ones with the 750m are still going for ~$1400 :O

Poor Apple is stuck waiting for new hardware to shrink enough to get it crammed into their existing aluminum cases. They don't want to redesign any of the MacBook line because that instantly causes issues with the thousands of products that have been tailor made to fit them.

That said, however, their OSs run like butter on lower spec'd hardware when compared to Windows on the same hardware. My MacBook worked like a dream up until Mavericks but it never ran Windows 8 very well.

While 100% true, it's the price you pay when you want MacOS/iOS and their typically swank packaging.
I don't know a ton of techies that care about either, but I do know some folks (that aren't totally clueless) that are willing to deal with older hardware in order to avoid Windows and Android.
There is a certain level of polish that is or at least was expected from Apple. I think a lot of that is now gone, but it has been gradual enough where people don't notice or care like they probably should.

I swear this is their marketing. Soon they will release a bunch of refreshes and people will be happily shelling for new hardware.

I swear this is their marketing. Soon they will release a bunch of refreshes and people will be happily shelling for new hardware.

I think they just know they can so they do. They run on old hardware as long as they can so they can maximize their profits, and then when things get really old they do a major refresh and talk about how great it is.

I don't mind their long cycles between refreshes because their new stuff is often an aesthetic delight. What bugs me though is how resellers take advantage of this. EBay gtx 770 or any gpu and type mac after the title and you're suddenly paying $380 for, what to us is an old card, but to macphiles is top of the line.

False. The earth is obviously flat!

latest

This Changes Everything.

Queue iPhone 7. Sacrifice a headphone jack for a 10% bigger battery and a $700 lighter wallet. Whee!

It won't stop the lemmings...

A guy I know was telling me with great glee how much his old Macbook pro is worth second hand. I told him the only reason his was worth anything was that it was the last of the fully upgradable ones for ram and HDD/SSD etc.

I also told him if he was going to sell, he better hurry up before it's kicked off the OS upgrade path. Oh and his next Macbook Pro would have to cost a lot more as he wouldn't be able to upgrade it afterwards.

Didn't look so happy after that for some reason.

Queue iPhone 7. Sacrifice a headphone jack for a 10% bigger battery and a $700 lighter wallet. Whee!

Really? Are you a droid lemming or do you do like I do, buy what works for me and what I can afford and forget everyone else? (HTC One M8 for Windows with Windows mobile 10 build 10.586.) I have no issues with Apple or the way they sell their products, there is obviously a market for them. However, not sure how much further we can go before Americans can simply no longer afford them because they cannot find jobs to support buying them.

A guy I know was telling me with great glee how much his old Macbook pro is worth second hand. I told him the only reason his was worth anything was that it was the last of the fully upgradable ones for ram and HDD/SSD etc.

I also told him if he was going to sell, he better hurry up before it's kicked off the OS upgrade path. Oh and his next Macbook Pro would have to cost a lot more as he wouldn't be able to upgrade it afterwards.

Didn't look so happy after that for some reason.

Well, maybe if you gave him all the information, he would not have been as displeased? I just upgraded a Mid 2007 iMac to the latest OS so, the upgrade train is a pretty long one. FUD is no good no matter what direction it is pointed in.

This is just history repeating itself... Apple developed a great interface for the PC than squandered it away. Steve Jobs returns and develops a great interface for mobile devices than Apple squanders it all away.

Without Steve Jobs Apple is nothing...

Why so optimistic you are getting 10% more battery? Honestly, given how all the non-tech business news sites are reporting the version 1.X iphone 7 rumors as fact all of a sudden, I'm almost convincing myself that they are 100% wrong.

This is just history repeating itself... Apple developed a great interface for the PC than squandered it away. Steve Jobs returns and develops a great interface for mobile devices than Apple squanders it all away.

Without Steve Jobs Apple is nothing...

Steve screwed up as much, or more than he he was right. He just happened to be right enough about a couple of doozies.

The macbooks may be old, but the only things they really don't have that you might get in a wintel laptop are improved battery life (and by how much without going to some newer but slower mobile processor), and a more bleeding edge discreet GPU. There are a lot of laptop sales out there that don't hinge on either of those, much less having both. If you just want the new, but slow, but long battery life CPU, get the too skinny macbook 12" thing.

About the only hardware standard that they are missing out on for most of their computers is usb c. I'd say latest gen thunderbolt too, but they have last gen thunderbolt, and if the history of wintel boxes is anything to go by, thunderbolt periferals won't be a must have thing until next generation and the first broad installation will be enthusiast/limited audience interests being served.

Their tablets need a serious price cut, or serious specs upgrade, ot a bit of both. But that's hardly apple by itself, the tablet market is all sorts of screwed up with regard to features vs. price vs. basic quality control.

You can laugh all you want about Apple's complete line of products being old, outdated, and in desperate need of a refresh but, you know what? People are still buying their stuff hand over fist so who is getting the last laugh?

I've already looked at how pathetic the Mac and MacBook lineup are. Apart from the MacBook, nothing there is worth buying because it's either old and crusty (5K iMac), or very old and crusty (Mac Pro). Buying any of this stuff means you're paying top dollar for technology that is, by the standards of the fast-moving tech industry -- ancient. But it doesn't stop there. Apart from the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, everything there either needs to be refreshed, or is long overdue a refresh.

Those of us that have worked in the sales part of the industry at any time could have told you / them this. Excluding small windows where new products are introduced, this is the Apple way. They won't refresh their computer lines for a year or more while HP and others have models with life cycles that last mere weeks with constant price changes to compete with other brands. Apple sells a computer with an alternative OS and no competition. Anyone that's ever tried to clone the Apple platform has been destroyed by lawyers or bought up in order to squelch them. This is how Apple gets away with it. They have created a niche market which tolerates zero competition.

I am involved in iOS development so use a Mac on a regular basis. I actually like the OS and love the trackpad - I haven't found a better on yet. I think it's pretty bad how out of date the devices are. I also hate the fact you can't add memory, storage, replace the battery yourself - you are pretty much stuck. A way to virtualize the OS would be nice - build server? Right now, you use a gimp'd MacMini.
Hell, I bought a macbook in 2008. I put in an SSD, upgraded the memory, bought a new battery - it's still not a bad laptop. Apple isn't supporting with Sierra - damnit. I'm probably not jumping into a new device if they do come out - my employer can buy it if they want me to use it.

Everyone already knows this. Since Steve Jobs left us, they aren't catering to the power users / developers.

St. Peter has a new iTablet 2 now though.

Their computers may be considered old but their iOS devices, the ones that make most their revenue, are pretty top notch.

Criticizing Air 2 is laughtable considering it still outperforms every android tablet

Keep in mind that hating or worshipping any platform or company makes you look childish and silly. Sure, MacBooks and iMacs have sucked hard for a while, and the new versions of OS X break a hell of a lot more than they add. But the phones and tablets are still among the best - people aren't benchmarking the things looking to run the latest high end VR game. They just want them to work on a daily basis. I support a 70 person company and it's almost half and half Apple products and Windows/Android products. PCs are easier to support and understand for everyone here, pretty much. iPhones and iPads are the best in those categories, where people just want them to be reliable and easy to use - not super fast and flexible like a PC.

Apple has been declining, oddly enough (or not) since Jobs was dying... but still kicks butt in reliable phones that have the best ecosystem. Windows 10 is better than El Capitan in every way. Apple has its hits and misses like anyone else.

Why so optimistic you are getting 10% more battery? Honestly, given how all the non-tech business news sites are reporting the version 1.X iphone 7 rumors as fact all of a sudden, I'm almost convincing myself that they are 100% wrong.

Steve screwed up as much, or more than he he was right. He just happened to be right enough about a couple of doozies.

The macbooks may be old, but the only things they really don't have that you might get in a wintel laptop are improved battery life (and by how much without going to some newer but slower mobile processor), and a more bleeding edge discreet GPU. There are a lot of laptop sales out there that don't hinge on either of those, much less having both. If you just want the new, but slow, but long battery life CPU, get the too skinny macbook 12" thing.

About the only hardware standard that they are missing out on for most of their computers is usb c. I'd say latest gen thunderbolt too, but they have last gen thunderbolt, and if the history of wintel boxes is anything to go by, thunderbolt periferals won't be a must have thing until next generation and the first broad installation will be enthusiast/limited audience interests being served.

Their tablets need a serious price cut, or serious specs upgrade, ot a bit of both. But that's hardly apple by itself, the tablet market is all sorts of screwed up with regard to features vs. price vs. basic quality control.
Sorry but if I am interested in a laptop with a cutting edge GPU I am going with something like Alienware and not a MacBook Pro... Just as Apple lost marketshares in the 1990's and early 2000's due to expensive, stylish, under-powered products Apple is back to falling farther and farther behind...

As an Apple stock holder, every time I watch you guys dispense Morton's from you eyes I laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh!

Because even though its down a bit right now, on their next unveiling it'll go right back up.

^ for $400 & up I'd rather have a fuller featured device than an iPad. But you can't really get a (new) base model Surface Pro for $400.

Criticizing Air 2 is laughtable considering it still outperforms every android tablet
Yeah, the race to the bottom mentality on the Android side is disappointing. There's no reason why Android device makers couldn't make a competitive $400 tablet almost 1.5 years after the iPad Air 2's release. Android device makers are playing specification checkbox games and not really getting it, which mirrors the worst marketing games on the Windows device side.

I think the article's premise of new is good and that good things are new is flawed. In my opinion, if the only real complaint about something is that it's old and nothing else, then it's doing it right.

In other news, water is wet, and the Earth is round.
Ya know the earth is round but its got a huge budge. Like mother earth is round but preggers too."preggers round" if you will. Google it some time...Not preggers round :)

Back